Shower Drain Problem

I have a leak in an upstairs shower. I've traced the problem to the seal between the drain and the shower floor. There is a flange at the top of the drain that meets the shower floor. There is a gap between this flange and the floor. I can pour water directly into the drain without any leaking problem. The problem is the water getting under the flange and not into the drain.
I tried repairing this with plumber's putty and the fix lasted for about 4 months. Eventually, the water washing over the putty lifted a piece of it and the leak started up again today.
Is there some other way to repair this without having to go in from the ceiling below?
Thanks for any recommendations.
Jeff
Perhaps a more durable sealant like G E Silicone Caulk would last a lot longer. It sure beats cutting through the ceiling below, IMHO.
Smarty

Smarty wrote:

Amen to that :-)
The joint needs to be clean AND dry. Use tiny brushes, string, whatever to clean it. Then use a hair dryer to thoroughly dry the joint. Let the silicone caulk cure for a day.

In addition, you can partially UNSCREW the shower drain (make a wooden plug to fit) and silicone caulk under it and screw the drain flange back in to compress the caulk and trim & let set.
If you could get to the lower part you can unscrew the top completely and put in a rubber gasket, but you might have trouble re-attaching it if you can't get to the lower part.
--
Free men own guns - www.geocities/CapitolHill/5357/ (add .com after geocities)

Thanks to all. The GE Silicone seems to have done the trick nicely. I think the key to this stuff is that it is rubber like once it sets and so gives a little.
Jeff

silicone caulk works well

For what?