Shower Anti-Scald Device

I am not getting hot showers consistently from my Kohler shower head. The plumber has changed the balancing spool and stem, however, the water temp out of the shower is still much lower than the water out of the sink's tap. Can the anti-scald device be removed? Do I want to do this myself? What else could be wrong? After a luke-warm shower, I go to the sink tap and still get very hot water so I'm sure the water heater is not empty.

Reply to
roger.gross

You need to adjust the max temp on the shower valve. The manual should tell you how. If you don't have it, check Kohler's site.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I had to do that so showers are OK in the winter. In summer, the incoming water is warmer and I just adjust the handle. If the original setting was made in summer, it would not be a surprise to be too cool now. (assuming you live in a cold climate)

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Or, changing the water heater temp. could require the change.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I have a question along this line if I can butt in here. I am getting ready to remodel a bath with a shower stall. Replace the shower stall, etc. I bought one of the Delta single lever valves that rotate. Cold comes on first then as you turn the handle farther, hot comes in.

Problem is, we have our water heater set low, partly for energy saving. With the double knob valve we have now, I turn the Hot on full blast and modulate that with Cold so the Cold is never completely on. I am now doubtful if we will be able to use the single lever valve as I am not sure if it decreases the Cold flow as you turn the handle farther into Hot? I am not going to set the water heater higher to overcome any problem.

I think I may return this one and get a single knob valve that rotates for temp., raises, lowers for on and off.

Thanks for any advice,

Walt Conner

Reply to
WConner

It will work just fine. It increases the hot as you go and keeps the flow the same. If you go full over, you will get full hot and setting it back will give you what you need. If it is anti-scald, you can set the maximum temperature with an adjustment.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

what Ed said is true but there is another consideration....

with the one handle valve you CANNOT adjust the temperature and the FLOW rate.

The single lever valve lets you select the temperature from full hot to full cold, but you basically are running at full flow rate all the time. You cannont SLOW the FLOW. If you like a full flow shower, then no problem....

Mark

Reply to
Mark

The single handle valve I bought allows both volume and temp adjustment.

Bob

Reply to
Bob