Should I Hire a Locksmith?

got any windows in your house? today's wall construction can be kicked easier than going through the door.
locks keep out the honest people.

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:26:20 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"

I read the paper. No one kicks in walls around here, whether it can be done or not.

Honest people don't even try to open a door. They wait for someone inside to open it.
Locks keep out thieves.

No, it slows them down. If they really want to get in, they will get in. Same with locking your car.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Locks discourage thieves, who end up going to your neighbor that believes locks keep out honest people.

I don't believe in locking my car. I've had it broken into twice in all the years of driving and total losses are about $2 for a can of oil and windshield spray. Cars that were parked near me were all locked. they had broken windows, scratched paint, slashed convertible top, etc. With mine, they open the door, look around, find nothing and move on.
wrote in message

the
Chuckle- BTDT myself. I put a restraint cable on the 2-way, and only leave cheap flashlights/tools/etc in the car. Cheaper than replacing busted glass or slap-hammered hatch lock, both of which I have had to do. The rules at work say to lock the cars, even when parking 'inside the perimeter', but I ignore them.
aem sends...
Hire a locksmith?
HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!
Locksmiths as a group are morons!!!!!!!
The typical locksmith could fsck up a wet dream.
I wouldn't hire a locksmith to empty my trash cans.
cyanoacrylate c5h5nO2 wrote:

I have a hunch they can spell 'fuck' better than you though.

agree...
have them keyed before installing.

not Kwikset ?
--
"Key"
"To the world you may be one person,

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 01:43:40 GMT, you wrote:

Speaking as a locksmith as well, ignoring the deadbolts for this discussion, discussing knobs only, given my druthers, between the Schlage and a KW TITAN, I will recomend the Titan on a house. Between a Schlage knob and the regular KW knob, its a toss up which can be gotten into faster if push really comes to shove. --Shiva--

You could buy the best equipment from a 'smith and ask about other security add-ons like strike plate, reinforcement brackets around the dead bolt, deep-set bolt and latch receivers with 3" screws. Also, ask the builder to reinforce the jamb so that the 3" screws are biting into wood and not just poking into space!

good advice...
--
"Key"
"To the world you may be one person,
message

he probably gave ya good advice. the (pre-drilled) holes and strikes will probably need to be adjusted !
--
"Key"
"To the world you may be one person,
"he probably gave ya good advice. the (pre-drilled) holes and strikes will probably need to be adjusted ! "
I was thinking along those lines too. I doubt it's as easy as using a screw driver, as some have suggested. For example, are the locations for the strike plates mortised out? If you don;t have the proper tools or skills and screw this up, it can be a lot more work to do correct than to do right the first time.
Also, some people claim that the same model locks sold by locksmiths are of a better grade than those sold at the big stores. Based on my experience, I don't believe it. I have Kwikset's on my front doors. I would gladly replace them with a costlier and better lock, but only Kwikset's will fit. I bought Kwikset's from a locksmith that appeared identical to the ones sold at Lowes and HD. I had bought locks at Lowes, but had to keep taking them back. One was all scuffed up, another had a trim piece that obviously had not even been plated properly.
The Locksmith assured me that while his looked the same and had the same model #'s, that the ones they sell to locksmiths are in fact higher quality. So, I paid a premium price. And what I got is the same junk that within 2 years is already seriously tarnished. And the location they are in is well protected by a huge porch overhang. I would avoid Kwikset, if possible, at least for any lock that you want to look good.
On 12 Jan 2006 09:50:49 -0800, you wrote:

There are 3 grades of locks.. Houses use grade 3. SOME 'house grade locks' can/will say 'equal to a grade 2' on the box.. however, they are at best IMO, a slightly better grade of grade 3. a grade 2 is a semi commercial. it takes more force to 'break' a 2 than a 3. a grade 1 is a commercial. designed for a LOT of every day use..for a long time. I have seen some grade 1 that are over 40 years old, used in a school door, and there is nothing at all wrong with them after all these years. Some need an occasional repinning, but that is all.
I just installed a grade 2 on a room a little bit earlier-list price on it, a plain knob- keyed entry is I believe $135
for this situation, barring someone attempting to break in or such, it should last 10 or more years. I have sold to a local school, over 400 grade 1 handicapped lever types, and in the last 8 years, had one give a problem and it took a 65 cent spring to fix.
GO find the ANSI requirements for the locks and see how they are rated.. http://www.techstreet.com/cgi-bin/detail?product_id 81301 for some fun reading. or http://consumer.schlage.com/main/customerservice/faq.htm
--Shiva--

You got some good advice but I want to give you a slightly different way to look at it in making your decision.
1st - What's your time worth vs. the savings - Do the math. 2nd - compare price from locksmith and builder. make sure same hardware is specified so you can compare prices to each others as well as your own 'price'. 3rd - Make sure you, and your locksmith, knows if the doors have just holes or if they have holes and mortises. The hole is the easy part, the mortise for the strike plate and the latch are tedious to do and require a little bit of skill with a chisel. I have done a lot of these but its sort of a pain in the neck.
So, I figure I can install a passage or lockset in a pre-drilled, pre-mortised, door/jamb in just a couple of minutes. If its significant savings I would do it myself. If its just a couple of dollars savings I would let someone else do it. if it involved mortises then I would look for an easier way to cut the mortises.
One last thing to consider. if the doors are pre-drilled and pre-mortised, and they are not hung perfectly, then the striker will not line up with the strike plate. There is some play available but not too much. Will your carpenter come back, after the lockset is installed, to re-plumb the door if its not aligned? There are benefits to having your builder do it. if they encounter a problem with the door install then they will quickly be able to make adjustments.
Have fun, let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out.
Do you listen to everything people tell you? If so, go stick your head in your toilet and flush it.
Why are you even asking? Just install them yourself, and quit wasting everyones time on this newsgroup. By the time you posted your message you could have installed one lock. With the holes pre-drilled, there is little to do except turn a few screws.
Personally, I never heard of a builder that cant install locks though... I'd not let this guy build my place....
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:57:17 -0500, tomas wilson

As I have read through the replys it seems no one has answered your question. To me you were asking if a reasonably competent homeowner can install knobsets in pre-drilled doors.
The answer is probably so.
Some pre-drilled doors are just drilled and you need to do a little chisel work to mortise in the latches and strike plates, others are prepped for the latches and strike plates and those are a breeze to install.
You can always try it by yourself on an obscure door and if all goes well, then keep going, but if you have problems than you can always call in the back-up.
--

Roger Shoaf

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:57:17 -0500, tomas wilson

tomas you can do it yourself. But take some advice here buy schlage or yale locks and not the lowline ones for best security and less maintance! Best Regards Anthony
................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<< -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-