Should I get a programmable thermostat for an electric heat pump central air system?

Page 2 of 2

I also was going to suggest the Honeywell VisionPro series. They have many programmable options for use with various systems and I bet if the OP looks at the manual which is available online, he'll find that it has choices of when and when not to use aux heat. They are also adaptive, meaning you just set them for the temp you want and it figures out how to get the house to that temp at the given time.