Shoplifter of the Week: Copper edition

Page 1 of 4
(Nov. 23)
Deputies in Kent County, Mich., are looking for three men who allegedly stole shopping carts full of copper items and tools from Menards stores in Ohio and Michigan, according to a report by WZZM-TV.
Authorities have identified 38-year-old Franklin Miller, 27-year-old Lance Trecek and 23-year-old Thomas Schafer as the suspects. In at least three incidents, detectives said, merchandise was stolen when one person stood at a checkout holding a large piece of drywall or fencing to block the cashier's view. The other two men would then push out carts full of copper and tools.
On 11/27/10 06:11 pm, Kuskokwim wrote:

In *our* local Menards (in a county adjoining Kent) one would have to push the shopping cart past the customer service desk, which is usually staffed.
Perce
Kuskokwim wrote:

This happens every time copper reaches near $4 a pound.
Copper has been over $3/lb since june/july, and over $3.50 since early october.
Copper crashed and reached a low point in Jan 2009 around $1.25, and from there it's pretty much been increasing linearly ever since (with a major hickup in February and June this year).
Copper really has never been higher than $4/lb, not at least during the past 5 years.
http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/copper_historical_large.html
High prices seem to coincide with low stock-house inventory levels, but we're still at high stock levels compared to 3, 4 and 5 years ago, so these high copper prices reflect a bubble of some sort.
Until sanity brings copper back down, everybody better keep their outside copper hvac and electrical stuff well protected.

Takes me back...waaaaayyyy back - to my (camera) safari in Kenya. You could buy handsome copper bracelets. Made from copper wire the natives stole from the phone lines.
HB
Higgs Boson wrote:

You don't have to go all the way to africa to see that.
Lots of stories here in US/Canada about people driving down country roads with telco or electric wire tied to the back bumper of their pickup truck, driving down country roads ripping wires off poles.
On 11/28/2010 9:41 AM, Home Guy wrote:

Here (Atlanta), scrap yards will only issue checks for copper, names and descriptions are kept on file.
Nice plan, near as I can tell it does not work. Didn't for me anyways!
Jeff

I took a pickup load of scrap metal over to the scrap yard a few weeks ago. I had about 1700 pounds of scrap that I got $156 for but I had a bucket of just copper that weighed ten pounds and got $21 for that. But to sell the copper, I had to give my ID, social security number and a thumb print. The paid me cash for the scrap and wrote a check for the copper.
Around here, there are guys that just travel the roads with a tuck and trailer looking for stuff people leave out beside the road to get rid of. That was my first ever trip to the junk yard so now I can see how they make a bit of money doing that. You don't even have to take stuff apart. You just drive up on the scales and get weighed then go to the yard where they just take a big magnet and lift all the junk right out of your truck and then go back and weigh your empty truck and get your check.
-C-

Giving my SSN and thumbprint to a SCRAP YARD is not worth $21...to me.

soon cash will be obsolete, everything done with debit credit cards for easy tracking.
but no card needed, just a convenient chip in your skin. put hand on scanner it reads your id chip and confirms your fingerprints.
brings up a screen of cards you can use pick one and go.
much more secure and your in the system.....
big brother just started launching a constellation of new spy says, antennas the size of a football field.
to defeat terrorism

I'm debating selling my copper scrap. I have a 55 gal drum full of wire ends, pipe cut-offs, etc from a liftime of tearing down buildings, rehabing two 'shacks', etc. I'd have to empty it one bucket at a time as I can't even move it now.
Harry K
On 11/27/2010 11:03 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Chuckle. Back in the day, before copper was valuable enough to have a dedicated scrap collection bucket on job sites or in the truck, 12 and 14 ga copper trimmings, and even 24? ga phone cable trimmings, were a common art class item at HS and college level. Copper pipe stubs as well. Give the kids experience with metal forming and soldering and such. Jewelry, little wire-form sculptures, window/wall hanging things, that sort of stuff.
Dunno what they use these days, if anything. I know the fancy stuff on rolls from art supply houses was way overpriced, even back then. I presume the boxes of scrap wire I saw in classrooms as a kid were from friends of the teacher, or the in-house electrician, or donated by parents of students. But I saw them in several different cities and schools.
--
aem sends...

melting down pennies is profitable but illegal, since your destroying US currency........

Anybody remember what year they switched pennies to flash-plated zinc? They haven't been solid copper for awhile.
-- aem sends...
On 11/28/2010 10:02 AM, aemeijers wrote:

http://coins.about.com/od/uscoins/f/copper_to_zinc.htm
1982

WWII IIANM. I vaguely recall plain zinc (no plating) but that was back when I was in school with Jesus.
Harry K
On 11/28/2010 11:53 AM, Harry K wrote:

I've come across a few WWII zinc pennies in my change but not for many years now.
TDD

Large family? I've got a grand Nephew, or is that great nephew, anyway, he's my niece's son and he is about to turn 20 years old and has never had a real job. Now he's got his 17 year old girlfriend pregnant.
By the time I was his age I had already been working a job that withheld taxes for almost five years. And I was in an area that was worse off economically than Michigan is now. But the best he can do is take a couple of college classes and stop by his grandma's place once in a while and help her for a couple of hours for $20.
He is a nice young man but he is naive and hardly ready for parenthood because his parents have raised him in the culture of food stamps, ill used student loans, public assistance and parental dependence.
Rant over.
-C-
On 11/30/2010 12:58 AM, Country wrote:

When I started college, I was working night shift in a defense plant that produced 20mm practice and tracer rounds for the USAF during The Vietnam War. I've never had any kind of public assistance even when I could have used it. The last time I drew unemployment was more than 30 years ago. I have no problem finding work, I have trouble getting out of bed and walking. For that reason I have a law firm helping me to reluctantly get disability payments. I'd rather work but chronic pain keeps me from doing so every day. I could have gotten on disability years ago but resisted it until now when I'm tired of fighting the pain to work.
TDD
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 01:43:02 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Most people collecting various do-gooder benefits really need them. I know three people collecting disability benefits and I wouldn't trade places with them.
On 11/30/2010 9:16 AM, dgk wrote:

I'm getting over walking pneumonia which knocked me on my butt for three weeks now. As I've told all those involve, I want to get well so I can work full time again. I've seen people get these big disability payments and they go off and spend it on booze, gambling and dope. It's unbelievable, I've seen a number of jerks who have little wrong with them get some big disability check and they go out and just blow it. I suppose I don't want to be associated with that bunch, I'd rather work for what I get.
TDD