Shop vac that doesn't pump dust?

Page 1 of 3
Finally trying to clean out the 20+ years of dirt and dust in the basement, so I can try to get it halfway organized. There used to be a garage bay down there, and I had some concrete cutting done last year for furnace swapout. In the old garage and where the concrete dust was, the shop vac did a good imitation of a smoke machine- the stuff pumped right through the foam filter ring around the motor can. Couldn't see across room, layer of dust on everything, and asthma kicked in within a few minutes. The vac is second-hand cheap junk, but it sucks well. Anybody know a source for, or how to fabricate, a filter cylinder or bag, that will actually slow dust down? Hopefully cheap enough that I can have several on hand, and rotate them as they get plugged up? Idea being that I could then take all the filters outside, hose them clean, and they would be dry in time for the next project?
Related question- anybody know a good way to strip old striped foam-backed basement carpet? I pulled back a corner, and it looks like a layer of talc under there. I really don't wanna end up in a hospital from inhaling all that.... (The truck-mounted rig a duct-cleaning company uses comes to mind, but I assume they would charge a fortune, if they would even do it.)
aem sends...
If you're serious about a vac that doesn't emit dust, get a central vac with an exhaust to the outside. They work great, and are less expensive than you would expect

Think 'job site' vac. This is dirt that predates my owning the house- after 2 years, I am finally getting around to unpacking and setting up the rooms where I dropped all the crates when I got here.
aem sends...
I understand what you have, a crappy shop vac and asthma. All those things, regardless of the filter type, put particles back into the room. You want clean air, get a central vac that exhausts to the outside

Or get a long hose and put the shopvac outside.

IIRC,there are HEPA filters made for ShopVacs.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

You say install a central vac for a one-time job? Yeah, right.
aem sends....
You could start a new trend, and vacuum your house regularly

I'm trying to reclaim a basically abandoned basement here. I stacked crates down there when I moved in two years ago, and haven't really used the space for anything since then. Once I get the place sanitized, then yes, it will be cleaned regularly. It won't have carpet, so a broom will do it nicely.
aem sends...

Having "reclaimed" abandoned / neglected space myself....I would suggest trying to gently sweep up some of the dirt if possible.
The less material run through the vacuum....less dust generated
cheers Bob
aemeijers wrote:

No fabrication necessary. Just get a filter that the vac originally came with. The foam is not it. The foam piece is supposed to go over the pleated paper filter.
There are also washable pleated filters for most models. They are about $30 but last a long time.
Rob

Depending on the age of the vac, it may not have had a pleated filer cartridge. I have an old (80's) shop vac that does not have a pleated filter or the ability to use one. The foam filter on these older units is there to provide support for a filter bag. I have found them at Wal-Mart, Lowe's and Home Depot. My unit originally came with a cloth filter bag but it was not very good at filtering dust.
Look for the paper filter bags at a Shop-Vac dealer. They are held in place by either a large rubber band or a plastic ring.
--
Gordon Parks
"trainfan1" < snipped-for-privacy@usdatanet.net> wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 21:29:08 -0400, trainfan1

Are you sure? I sort of assumed the paper filter circle went over the foam. Wouldn't putting the foam over paper likely rip the paper?

I forgot about that one.
But are you saying tghere are three kinds, the circle, a pleated one, and the washable pleated one? I thought there was only one pleated one, washable.

the foam filter is for WET vacuuming;for dry,you use a pleated paper filter or a filter bag that fits in the tub.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Someone wrote:

. That's odd; the paper filter on mine goes 'over' the foam which supports and prevents it from collapsing inwards into the sort of basket thing below the motor????? Paper filters clog rather easily; e.g. plaster dust etc. Just thought I'd ask?

You're supposed to use a paper filter also when vacuuming dry stuff.

What brand. If it's shop vac or made by shop vac, they sell filters. If it's Ridgid, they sell them too, maybe the same filters iirc.
There are special small hole (my term) filters for soot. I'm not sure if you need that for what your describing or not, but I got them at Lowes, I think. HD sells Ridgid brand vacs and only a few accessories that fit Shop VAc.
I used mine special filters to vacuum inside my oil furnace, includring the firebox as best I could, and the flue and the place where they connect (which was clogged with things that looked like charcoal, as big as marbles, but would break into small pieces when I squeezed them. Made out of partially burned oil I guess. I didn't see a bit of dust come out.
The very smallest shop vacs won't accept these filters. You have to have the vacs where the hose enters the bucket, not the removeable top of the vac. Now I recall that the these low-diameter filters don't go on over the foam tube. They slip into a bracket and are held in place when the input tube is slid into its holder in the bucket. They are U-shaped tubes that wrap around the motor and the input hole is in the middle.
I bought my vac at Pep-Boys, it was about 50 dollars. I still have the small one, so I put the big one in storage until I need to clean the furnace again.
I'm not sure if you need these special filters or not for what you are doing, but you can't expect the foam to filter dust. It's only to protect the motor when you are sucking in water and stuff.

I have that everytime I take up any of my bathroom rugs. Isn't that just dried foam rubber, not talc at all. (which is the same chemically as asbestos but not the same physically. Isn't it the physcial properties of asbestos that make it dangerous? Isn't talc still used for massages and babies, not dangerous at all? Or am I wrong about that?)
Try sci.chemistry , I guess.

And you could wear a mask, a simple dust mask or a fancier one.

Based on Edwin's post, Shop-vac doesnb't seem to make these. Maybe they stopped in t he 9 months since I bought my bag of 3 filters, or maybe it was a 3rd party that made them. HD sells 3rd party filters that fit both ridgid and shopvac. I went to so many stores looking for the perfect vac, that I don't remember everything anymore. (inc. also sears and Target I think. Most sold shop-vacs in the local store's colors.)

They make a pleated filter that is washable and will control fine dust http://www.shopvac.com/list.asp?ids 6,337,332,426,330,320,296,256,167,333,423,433,441&titlertridge+Filter+Selection
www.shopvac.com

Wear a respirator and use a long handles ice scraper.

http://www.shopvac.com/list.asp?ids 6,337,332,426,330,320,296,256,167,333,423,433,441&titlertridge+Filter+Selection
Wow. Cheapest one on there costs more than I have in the entire machine, and none of them (on a quick read) look washable. I was using 'shop vac' generically, but I just went downstairs and looked, and it is an actual Shop Vac brand shop vac, model 600C. Pretty old, judging by the metal collection can. Guess I'll have to ponder this, and maybe try and see what I can rig up with some filter media and giant rubber bands.

Methinks I'd probably need a supplied-air unit, with my allergies. That and borrow one of those window exhaust fans from the FD. I'm gonna start calling around and see what the flooring and abatement companies would charge.
aem sends....

Despite the ones on that page, I'm sure they still selll the paper circles.
Plus did you see on the right hand side
http://www.shopvac.com/detail.asp?id 7
3 for 9 dollars. Only fits 5-8 gallons. How big is yours. I don't know what 600C means.
You may even be able to get the high filtration bags, at only a little more.
Try this page: http://www.shopvac.com/filter_guide.asp and this one http://www.shopvac.com/accessories.asp