shocking well


I have a high concentration of sulphur reducing bacteria and iron reducing bacteria in my well. I used a bottle of javex to shock it last time and it didnt' do much for the smell. Can I shock a well with chlorine instead ? Would that work better at killing the bacteria ? Is chlorine much stronger then javex ? Thanks.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

your pump.
You will get used to the smell. Well, I did; my wife still hasn't.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I don't know anything about wells but I know this about chlorine: Bleach is sodium hypochlorite, regular household bleach is around 5.25% available chlorine, the stuff you get at the pool store is the same ingredient but stronger at maybe 10 to 12% available chlorine. Calcium hypochlorite from the pool store is about 65% to 75% available chlorine per weight, lithium hypo is about 35%, and those chlorine pucks, aka trichlor, are 45.76% available chlorine per weight (yes the label says 90% but). The stabilized granular chorine, aka dichlor, is 32.24% available chlorine per weight (yes the label says 64% but.)
Sorry I can't help you with your well, though.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Isn't the normal solution to that problem putting in a iron-removal reverse osmosis system? Shocking a well is for dealing with contaminants, not something that likely inhabits the entire aquifer.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.