Shingles / wind question

Came home early and saw that heavy winds head on to the edge of the roof shingles were lifting them a few inches along one tier.

In a few other areas, the shingles were starting to lift a 1/2 inch or so.

I went up and used shingle glue and some weight plates to secure down the worst tier. (The ladder blew down, buts that another story and I don't want to get you laffing).

Anyway, when the winds calm, whats the best maintenance steps? Nailing through the top shingle layer is a no-no, correct? BTW, we commonly get substantial winds around here.

Thanks, KG

Reply to
Kurt Gavin

If you are in a hurricane-prone area or are exposed to winds in excess of 60 mph, you need to plan for a roof replacement with a material that will withstand those winds. Shingles are not one of the options. Consider either metal roofing or adhesive-attached tile.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

The wind gets so strong where I am it's enough to blow the head off of you. We gum down each shingle as they are installed. Forget that silly little line of gum under the celophane strip. I'd carry on and gum down what you have started and do a yearly inspection of your entire roof - either with binoculars from ground level or up on the roof. BTW I have had ladders go over in the past and it's not fun when your're up 3 stories. I installed 2 sets of good eye hooks on each side of my house into the facia . stud. I always hook the ladder on to these whenever I am up there.

Reply to
robson

Our usual max is 50 mph, but we get a lot of windy days.

Reply to
Kurt Gavin

Please post the part about the ladder falling. I need a laugh.

To fix, get roofing cement in a caulking tube. Put a gob or two under each loose tab and push it down. Do this when it's warm and not windy. Of course replace all missing or torn tabs too.

Reply to
maradcliff

I agree. But it helps if you do a neat job of the patching, because after a couple of years, the shingle will try to buckle around the patches.

Thus, for best long term results, you need to follow the line of the original patch.

Reply to
DK