Shed

Thinking about building a shed in my backyard. The two car garage is overflowing with junk. For sure the snow thrower and mower can go there. Several questions,

1) do I need a building permit from the city? 2) is it cheaper to get a pre-assembled from Home Depot or build it with my nail gun and air compressor using dimensionals? 3) what are the popular sizes?
Reply to
yaofeng

Ask the city

Quien sabe?

Scaled to fit your existing junk * 4

Reply to
dadiOH

They may have a website with this info. Here, one can build up to 150 ft^2 without permit, YMMV. A 10x15 shed ought to fulfill your reqs, but sheds are common victims of scope creep!

Reply to
John Harlow

I have no clue where you live. Call the building inspector.

Depends on w hat yu want as a finished product. HD has cheap one, sut not as good as yo can build.

Big enough to hold your junk.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

In my city you only need a permit if it is more than 120 square feet (including eves and overhangs). An electrical permit is required for electricity but I got around that by plugging it into a GFCI covered receptacle instead of perminantly wiring it. I also needed to keep it away from the property line by the city setback distance (you really do need to check on that yourself) Most of what I needed to know was on my city website.

I built one from scratch with my own plan. The popular sizes you see the plans (google on shed plans) come in make efficient use of 4x8' plywood while my custom size required a lot of panel cutting. A concrete floor is cheaper if you have sand and gravel on site and mix your own with portland cement. even premix is cheaper than the materials needed to construct a wood floor and you can make the floor at or near grade ( a wood floor will be 6' to 12' off the ground)

It can be cheaper to buy a prefab but only because you will be forced to make compromises in style and size. A fully custom shed built yourself shold cost less than a prefab of the same size. My (delux) 8'x14' shed cost less than $1k to build but is worth over $3k if i had had it built for me.

Reply to
AutoTracer

Reply to
nospambob

Popular sizes probably start at 6x8 or 8x10 -- whatever will hold all the stuff you don't toss out after cleaning the garage.

My city requires a permit for any permanent structure. Setback in my neighborhood is 12'. You'll probably have to call city hall. From a payphone. ;-)

Reply to
Dee

You may be right. I am sure to fill the new storage space up with more junk in no time no matter how big it is, in addition to that overflowing in the garage.

Reply to
yaofeng

"yaofeng" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

yup, happens to the best of us. :)

Reply to
FlavorFlav

My shed is 12' x 16' and I have 10 face cord of firewood in it, two lawn mowers, a 30" snow blower, a 10' x 2.2' work bench all my yard tools a back up burn barrel and plenty of room left. If it gets too cluttered, I'll have a yard sale and get new stuff. :-)

Stone

Reply to
Gary Stone

I havd the same choice to make several years ago. The "plastic" ones look cheap to me and the steel ones will rust over time. So I designed my own to match the architecture of the house. In my opinion sheds can devalue the look of a property and a custom one may not.

Reply to
Dave Combs