Sharp microwave/convection oven thermistor

I have an ancient Sharp R-8310 microwave/convection oven that recently broke its temperature sensing thermistor for the convection part. I'd like to keep this oven because of its simple mechanical controls, but what kind of substitute thermistor will work (temperature @ 25C, temperature coefficient)? The factory part (FH-Z0017WRK0) is $40 with the thermistor in a plastic shell and attached to a cable.

$40 sounds pretty decent to me, it's surprising the part is still available at all. If it were me I'd just buy the factory part and save the substitution for impossible to find or horrendously expensive parts.

Of course, there are a variety of standard thermistors that go for more along the lines of $1 from an electronics distributor.
Does anyone know what the specs on this are?
--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/ Repair | Main Table of Contents: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/ +Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm | Mirror Sites: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Is it not in some special housing? I was envisioning a probe for sticking into meat, perhaps this is just a cavity temperature sensor.
James Sweet wrote:

It is the cavity temperature sensor and looks like a common glass diode, but it's housed in a small plastic shell with spade lugs on it.

I'm not sure about that model, but the one I replaced a few years ago was just soldered (or maybe spot welded) between two posts out in the open.
--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/ Repair | Main Table of Contents: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/ +Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm | Mirror Sites: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html
snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote: : I have an ancient Sharp R-8310 microwave/convection oven that recently : broke its temperature sensing thermistor for the convection part. I'd : like to keep this oven because of its simple mechanical controls, but : what kind of substitute thermistor will work (temperature @ 25C, : temperature coefficient)? The factory part (FH-Z0017WRK0) is $40 with : the thermistor in a plastic shell and attached to a cable.
I just had to replace that part and it cost $40 in Australia. I also like the Sharp. IMHO, it's well worth it to fix it.