Range Hood Wiring

I just bought a new over the range microwave. The old range hood is hard wired, the new microwave is plug in. I was just wondering on what my options are. I need to know what to do with the hard wire that i will disconnect from the range hood.

Cheers

Reply to
stumarshall

One option is to have an electrician examine what you need, and he/she will then will know what too do.

Reply to
Oren

Put a receptacle on it, of course.

Visit the electrical department at your nearest hardware store or home center, and buy an "old work" box. Cut an appropriately sized and shaped hole in the wall for the box, pull the cable out through that hole and insert it in the box, mount the box in the wall, and mount a receptacle in the box.

Reply to
Doug Miller

The existing hood is probably on a lighting circuit, with other lights. The new microwave will require a dedicated circuit. Typically you will install an outlet, either flush or surface, in the cabinet above the microwave. The microwave will have the cord and plug coming off the top right side of the unit. You cut a hole through the bottom of the cabinet and pull the cord into the cabinet and plug it in

Reply to
RBM

I bought a female plug to go on the end of the wire and plugged the microwave into it and let it hang in the wall. I did not want a box in the cabinet above the microwave as that just seems dumb. The way I did it you see no wiring at all just like with the range hood and I did not cut the cord to the microwave. Joe

Reply to
Red Grass

Not as dumb as leaving exposed live contacts inside the wall.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Reply to
Red Grass

It's still considered a splice or joint and can't be done without a box and cords can't be run through partitions, also the NEC states that equipment must be installed as per instructions. If the cord was intended to go out the back into the wall, it would not be coming off the top of the microwave. Essentially what you did looks fine, appears to work fine, but is considered illegal and dangerous by the folks that write the electric code, who have some experience with this type of Rube Goldberg wiring

Reply to
RBM

Electrical code violation. Put a box in the cabinet.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

OK Option1) Drill a hole in the cabinet above the microwave and let the cord come threw the bottom of it in a place where can goods and other groceries are stored and frequently used and replaced. wire would be constantly subjected to having something accidentally sat on it or plug accidentally bumped. Option2) Place a UL listed plug on the end of the home wiring and plug the microwave solidly into it. The plug will be in the hollow space in the wall behind the microwave. In this location it will be the same as option one but just hidden inside the wall in a nice safe location where it will never be bumped, touched, or even seen by anyone. You are telling me Option one is the better, safer, less likely to cause a problem one? Joe

Reply to
Red Grass

Actually, BOTH options are illegal here in Calgary. You can't put an outlet inside of enclosed cabinet.

If your microwave has a normal plug, put an electrical box BELOW the cabinet where the plug can reach. If the cord is long enough and you have empty space above the cabinets, you could put the box there.

If your microwave is meant for direct wiring, the put a hole in the wall behind the microwave an pull the electrical wire from the wall into the junction box of the microwave (or a box put into the wall behind the microwave).

Reply to
Noozer

messagenews:REW_i.5558$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews2.bellsouth.net...

Reply to
trader4

messagenews:REW_i.5558$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews2.bellsouth.net...

Is that what they really do up there? Doesn't this look like hell? I guess you could try to route the cord so it's less noticeable, but with excess cord, being in a grease prone area subject to heat, etc, this sounds like a very bad idea.

Reply to
trader4

Option 3) a properly installed receptacle mounted in a box in the wall.

Reply to
Doug Miller

replying to Red Grass, Leah wrote: Just curious if this worked I'm looking to do the same thing

Reply to
Leah

Will what work? Putting a female cord end on the house wiring, plugging in the microwave and burying it in the wall? Of course it will work. Is it code compliant? No, not even close for the reasons cited. Why not just buy a microwave designed for direct wiring?

Reply to
trader_4

Jack Goff