shaky deck

We got our deck extended. The supports are good and put in concrete- however - as you walk across the railing around - especially on one side shakes noticeably. What is the best method to minimize the movement. Deck size 20X20 - 11 ft raised above the ground!
pantuvarali wrote:

brace the posts to each other diaganally, top of one to the bottom of another.

you can probably get by if you just run one brace diagonally from corner to corner under the decking nailing/screwing it to each joist. its probably doing more twisting than actual movement. try that first.
randy
pantuvarali wrote:

Do you mean the deck itself shakes? This is probably a function of using too-small framing members, or too-great distance between supports. It can be improved by sistering the deck joists, but they should have been wider to begin with. You should consult with your deck contractor; you don't want to put too much weight on the outer beams.
If only the railing shakes, then it was built flimsily and without proper anchoring. This at least is much more easily (and cheaply) solved. It depends on how the posts are anchored, but adding L-brackets and cross braces is sure to help.
In both cases you may wish to review your contract and the amount of input you gave regarding size of framing, distance of supports, and such, in relation to overall cost. Ideally you should get the contractor to fix it for nothing, but you'll probably have to come to some sort of compromise.
You hired someone , You paid him, he left, and you got no permit or inspection ? And we cant see it and no photos.
As you walk on-across the railing it shakes? Dont walk On the railing. The deck ? the railing ? railing supports ? main ground supports ? what ? What does the builder say , we cant see it. What would your insurance and Inspector say.
Probably no insurance, no occupancy permit
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 23:53:48 -0400, "pantuvarali"

I'd have to actually see the movement to determine exactly where to brace it. Basically, "making triangles" will stiffen a structure with the least amount of material.
I'm having a hard time to understand what you mean by "Shaking."
If you mean that the deck floor has a feeling of bouncing up and down, you can install one or more rows of blocking between the joists (perpendicular to joists). This would stiffen the structure and eliminate/ reduce bouncing.
Mr. Fixit eh.
I apologize- The railing shakes as you walk The floor does not. The railing moves visibly for +/- 1 inch in the middle of the span. How does one improve the support of railing?