sewer collapse question

Page 2 of 2
On Thursday, December 19, 2013 2:48:47 PM UTC-5, TimR wrote:

Why don't you think of the design of the two, how they operate and get back to us. For starters, a bong is not a U trap. It's not designed to block air/gas flow. It's designed to make air with burning smoke bubble up through water when pulled via a vacuum. So to say that because a bong passes smoke as it's designed to do somehow means that a P trap isn't effective at sealing out gases makes no sense.
On Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:06:58 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

The pressure at the bottom of an inch of water is ,036 psi
How much vacuum do you think it would take to pull a gas up through an inch of water (or less) in a trap?
On 12/17/2013 9:17 PM, Snag wrote:

I've seen a situation where high winds blowing across a roof will create a vacuum in the vent stacks and suck all the P-traps dry. ^_^
TDD

My problem is that we are traveling while they are working on it. Trying to figure out if I need to have the neighbor wander through a couple of times a day or not.
but what they conceal is vital.
Kurt,

Why? You can fill the P traps and air out any smell when you return from your trip. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Dave M.

That is part of what I was wondering about. Although ehow.com suggested that there could be a buildup of methane causing the possibility of an explosion. That and the kids are flying back while Kay and I are driving and I don't want to have to Child#2 deal with it when I am still 600-700 miles away (or more to point I don't want to have to deal with C#2.... )
but what they conceal is vital.

...snip...
IMO there is no worse source for information than ehow.
Do yourself a favor. Pick a couple of subjects that you know a lot about. Look up those subjects on ehow. Decide for yourself if the information on ehow is worth the disk space it's stored on.
I can't tell you how many times I've read stuff on ehow that was at best so general as to be not worth reading or at worst completely wrong, such as the R&R instructions for a car part where ehow had the model/year incorrect. Their instructions weren't even close.
to be better safe than sorry have neighbor walk thru a couple times a day, and to prevent a explosion leave a window on the top floor open just a litt le, so even if gas somehow accumulated it would have somewhere to go:) meth ane is lighter than air so it will naturally go to the highes spot in the b uilding. Leave all interior doors open for free air flow.
and let neighbor doing walk thru know why window is open a little and all i nterior doors are open
Kurt Ullman wrote:

I just recently received a notice from my town about work they were going to do on the sewer lines on my street during one day only. The notice said they were re-lining the main sewer lines using some kind of chemical/plastic compound that is applied to the inside of the sewer lines and quickly dries. They said they would have to shut off the sewer lines briefly during the day. And, they said that the chemical smell is sort of like nail polish remover. They said that if the homeowners smelled the chemical smell inside their home to be sure to add water to the traps by running the water at each fixture briefly. I could smell the chemical outside while they were doing the work, but not i my house.
What they are about to do in your development sounds like no big deal to me. Just do what they said about re-filling the traps in the unlikely event that you smell sewer gas in your home.
Since you are in a condo complex, I doubt that there are any basement floor drains in your property. I thought that they were prohibited by more recent building codes, but I am not sure.
Since you said you will be away, and you want to be sure there is no problem while you are away, there is an easy solution. For each sink and tub, just leave the cold water on with a tiny drip -- something very slow, like a drop or two at a time -- while you are away. In the highly unlikely event that the traps do get low or emptied by the sewer work, the very slow drip will automatically re-fill each trap. That seems like unnecessary overkill to me, but if you are truly concerned, that will solve your concern. personally, I would not worry about it.
Or, if you wanted, you could ask a neighbor or two to keep an eye out (actually a nose out) for the smell of any sewer gases in their homes while the work is going on. Then, if they do smell something in their home(s), you could have them contact you by phone or maybe have them go in a re-fill the traps in your home. But, if they don't smell anything in their home, I see no reason to have them going into your home at all, let alone several times a days.