setback thermostats

Page 1 of 2
I have a honeywell clock type setback thermostat w/ timer wheel and pegs. The system is forced hot air (gas) 10 year old Bryant 80% furnace. I tried to install a newer digital setback type stat and ran into a situation I did'nt like. With the old style stat the heat would stay off after reaching the desired temp for a reasonable amount of time( variable) depending on how cold it was outside. The new digital stat continually short cycled to keep temp constant, so the furnace was starting up within a couple minutes of shutting down. The old stat with the heat anticipator and burner control adjustment does not cycle nearly as much and would stay off for a minimum of 10-15 minutes. The new digital type would seem to wear out the furnace and parts prematurely by continuing to cycle in such a short time.
Is there an adjustment with the digital stats to control the duration the heat is off before starting the heat up again or is the stat designed to constantly hold the temp at the set level? Thanks in advance, this is a great group. LG
Sure there is an adjustment if it is a quality stat, read the manual. You dont say what you bought. But my Lux was set for to close a spread also. It should be easily programable, read the manual.
What brand of thermostat is it?
Some brands do not have an anticipator. Other brands use the cycle per hour instead of anticipation...

The
did'nt
desired
was
constant,
The
cycle
heat
constantly
Most digital thermostats have a switch that sets the temp drop before the system cycles on. Some are 1/2 degree, 1 degree or 2 degrees or similiar. Set to a higher temp differential.
--
George Fahrlender
On-Location Services

I checked the manual and baseplate and could not find this setting for the honeywell CT3200 stat.
LG

It was a Honeywell CT3200 digital and my old stat was a Honeywell T8182A.
LG

hour
Don't know anything about a CT3200. Honeywell site says it's a retail thermostat. Talk to the sales monkey where you bought it.
http://hbctechlit.honeywell.com/Search_Results.cfm

The
did'nt
desired
was
constant,
The
cycle
heat
constantly
Not being able to verify anything, Maybe you do not have the right thermostat. Stats have to be matched to the equipment. I.E. heat pump applications usually require an special sub base to be installed.
I'd like to replace my mechanical thermostat ( heating and cooling ) with a new-fangled electronic set-back unit.
I like the idea of automatically turning back the temp every night.
Home Depot has a "Rite-Temp" LOWES has a "Hunter-Energy Star" Both in the same price range.
Has anyone had any experience with either unit ? <rj>
wireless remote controlled ones too! programmable for 4 times a day/weekend. http://www.bryant.com/corp/details/0,1312,CLI1_DIV42_ETI8848,00.html?SMSESSION=NO
--
______________________
Claudia

Yeah, Most people think they are both junk.....

This is Turtle.
Leave these Hunter and Rite-Temp thermostats alone. Look up at these stores or other places for real thermostats that will hold up to time. Try to get these names atleast wrote on them. Homeywell, White Rogers, Robert Shaw, or maybe even a Maple-chase .
One thing for sure Hunter makes the worst proforming thermostats known to man. Now I have seen some Rite-Temp last for a while.
TURTLE
I just bought a Honeywell CT3600 "smart" thermostat, which I thought would be an improvement on our current White-Rodgers 1F81-261.
BUT when I looked at the wiring diagram and compared it with the current connections, I concluded that our present system has two-stage heating, for which the CT3600 is not suitable.
Looking at the installation instructions for the furnace, I see that it is possible to configure it for use with a single-stage thermostat, but am I correct in thinking that this would be a bad move?
Honeywell does not seem to offer any of its "fancier" thermostats for DIYers, and AFAICS White-Rodgers does not sell to DIYers at all.
Is there anything that would be an improvement on our current 1F81-261? I see that it is a comparatively recent model. It was in the house already when we moved in a year ago, but I thought perhaps we could improve on it.
MB
On 11/03/04 10:15 pm TURTLE put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

This is Turtle.
The F81 series is about the best the DIYer"s will get to play with. You may know all there is to know about correctly installing it but the other 99 DIYer's will send them to school.
TURTLE
On 11/05/04 01:04 am TURTLE put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Thanks, Turtle.
I just thought of something else: now that our son starts school at different times on different days, we ought to have a 7-day thermostat rather than the current 5+1+1. Is there something at least as good as the current White-Rodgers 1F81-261 -- and available to a DIYer?
MB

This is Turtle
I would have to go look up the F-80 Series if I can remember right has a 7-7 and alone with the 5-2 . Now where you get the F-80 from you should be able to get a F-90 series with a 7-7 feature. Here is a sight to look at the features at. http://www.white-rogers.com/contractor/catalog/index.htm This is the page to look at them and the features. Your looking for the 7-7
Now with a little thinking you can get the 5-2 do what you want it to do also.
If you like E-Mail me and discuss it. The email address here on the group is good.
TURTLE
To get a White Rogers programmable a few years ago I had to take a DEEP breath and go to a Sears store. Unfortunately it has the store name embossed on the case. Works well though.

snip

Installed a Hunter from Lowes last month. Seems to do the job. Easy enough to install. Not thrilled it needs 2 AA batts. Hunter claims they last a year. (So change them same time as smoke alarms ??) Using the default 60/68 deg program right now. Seems to hold the house temp more constant at either temp than the old Honeywell round mechanical unit did.
--reed

some units let you adjust the operating range. you can set it for a tighter control (heater goes on and off more often for shorter periods of time) or visa versa.
randy
As Turtle said get quality, I have 2 Lux stats and am not totaly happy with a few problems