Service Hole Leak - Plugging

When we get really heavy rain the water comes up along the basement foundation to a point where it can enter my basement through the hole in the foundation where the water service enters the house.

The service entry works like this: The builder layed a 3 inc pvc in the concrete and then stuck the 1 inch copper water service pipe through it. Nothing was used to fill the void in between the PVC and the copper pipes.

I have swales, clean gutters, etc., etc.

What's the best way to seal up this waterway?

TIA,

biru

Reply to
biru

A can of expanding foam might be perfect for this.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Dig it up on the outside. Clean the wall. Clean the sleeve (the big pipe in the concrete). Clean the water pipe.

Use backer rod of the proper diameter (sounds like 1") to fill the void around the water pipe. Recess the backer rod about a 1/2". Caulk with polyurethane caulk. (NP1 would be my choice) or good silicone (Dow 795).

For additional insurance you can treat the penetration and surrounding concrete with plastic roof cement, rag, and more roof cement.

Cover the new work with a piece of beaver board, pearl board, rigid Styrofoam, or other to protect the caulk/tar when you backfill.

DanG