Septic Line Clean-outs

Recently I had a plugged drain pipe to my septic tank: plug was within 5 ft of the tank. When I went to use the clean-out plugs to snake the lines, I found that 3 out of the 4 clean-out plugs had leaked big time. Noticed that the caps on the clean-outs were only on finger tight. House was built 8 years ago and have been that way since. (This may explain the slight sewer smell sometimes present in the basement.) End result is ruined carpet. Moral of story; inspect your clean-out caps!

My question is: how to seal these 3 inch caps? Only one of them has an O-ring. The others are just a plastic-on-plastic seal (black PVC or ABS?) with no way to put on an O-ring. Would Teflon tape on the threads do the job? Or if the caps are screwed on very tight, will they still leak? Is there another solution?

Thank you!

Reply to
Treetops

I always use Teflon tape

Reply to
Eric Tonks

My plastic pipe clean outs are 20 years old. They have never leaked and I have one for the kitchen sink/dishwasher/water softener drain at eye level about 5 feet from where I am sitting right now. They are not hand tight, though. The few times I have had to use them, I had to use a pair of pump pliers, pipe wrench, or a large crescent wrench to remove them. I used the same tool to retighten them. They don't have to be torqued, just a quarter or half turn more than finger tight. There are no o-rings or teflon tape on the plugs.

Reply to
willshak

Yes, a tight cap will make the fitting gas tight. The tape will help the seal, as well as make it easier to remove in the future if needed.

Reply to
John Hines