Selling House Electrical question

Page 1 of 2
I have a 1950 era rowhouse, with 100 amps and fuses. New York City. I haven't had any issues with the power and all the fuses are 15 amps. There is on 240 volt circut for a large AC unit which is just two of the 15 amps combined somehow.
Is there any need to upgrade the electric before selling the house? I've had some people tell me that 200 amps and circuit breakers are now required. I've hardly ever blown a fuse but can do so by running the toaster oven at the same time as the microwave. Not always, but I avoid doing that. In fact I replaced that fuse with a circuit breaker dressed up as a fuse, which screws in but doesn't need to be replaced if it pops.
There are two 100 amp fuses in the fuse box (big guys), so perhaps there is already 200 amps coming in and just 100 are in use?
On 03/04/2014 02:35 PM, dgk wrote:

No, it's 100 amp.
I'd let the next owner upgrade it unless your Realtor does not think you can sell it in it's current (no pun intended) condition.

Quite likely cannot go over 125 or 150 amps anyway without expensive feed upgrades. Aproxemately $10,000 to put 200 amp in mine (currently 100, underground service), so it will be getting a 125 breaker box in the spring.
On 03/04/2014 07:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Well, I guess that's the advantage to having unsightly out door wires.
If I'd up my present 100 amp service to 200 amps, the power company would not even charge to run new wires to the house. (I'd of course have to pay an electrician for the rest)
As a matter of fact, when I had a tree trimmed...we called the power company and they took down the wires for us and put them back for not charge.

I can attest to the "no charge" work that the power company will do.
Last winter a branch came down and ripped the wires off the side of my house. It ripped the insulated connection point out of the wall and tore some siding. The service wire was still attached at the first clip so I never lost power or had an unsafe condition. Before I had a chance to repair it, they replaced our power poles and moved mine about 3 feet, taking up all the slack in the wires. Now there was no way for me to reattach it to the house.
I called the power company and said that I needed my power shut off at the pole so I could replace some siding and hook the wires back onto the house. I also told them that the wires needed to be extended because of the moved pole. Two guys showed up and the first thing they did was use a limb trimmer like this to cut the wires (live) at the pole.
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/recreational_trails/publications/fs_publications/05232810/fig034.gif
They looked up at the wires where they were hanging from the house and said "Would it be easier for you to replace the siding if we cut the wires at the house also?" I said "Sure!" Then as one guy climbed the ladder and cut the wires about 2 feet from the house's connection box, the other guy spliced about 4 feet of wire onto the ends that would be reattached at the pole. The guy on the ladder screwed a new insulator onto my house above where I needed to replace the siding, climbed down and said "Call us when you're done."
I replaced the ripped siding, washed the side of the house, replaced all the rusted service wire clips, and lagged the connection box to the side of the house. I called them back, they attached the wires at the pole and at my house and wouldn't even accept a few bucks for coffee.
There was really no need for them to cut the wires at the house, they only did it to get them out of my way while I worked on the siding. They basically doubled their work just to be nice. I was a satisfied customer and called their office the next day to let them know.
On 03/05/2014 04:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Real nice of them. Around here they will also trim branches...no charge....if they are near the wires. I can call them...but they do come around about once a year to inspect things.
...snip...

I forgot...One of the guys put a saw on the end of the trimmer after he dropped the wires and trimmed a few branches also. I remember now because he left the branches for me to clean up. Now I don't like them anymore. ;-)

If the underground fails, they fix it too. But if I request/require an upgrade, I pay.
mst homeowner insurance companies refuse to provide new insurance for homes with fuses, knob and tube wiring, bad or old roofs, unsafe sidewalks and a long list of other issues.
Just call state farm and random other companies and ask about fuses....
you need to know 90% of buyers wantt a move in ready home , fixer upers limit the mrket to 10% of al;l buyers. You will have to sell cheap:(
On 03/04/2014 03:42 PM, bob haller wrote:

Anyone but State Farm. sheesh
I had them come out to inspect my house and give me a quote.
My roof is 20 years old and they would not sell me insurance.
It has a 25 year guarantee and does not leak but that was irrelevant. They never even looked inside my house.
I could have had a new roof but had open cans of gasoline in the basement and they would have sold me a policy.
On 03/04/2014 04:52 PM, philo wrote:

Do you have trees near your house?
Insurance companies don't like large trees...especially if they can fall on your house.
On 03/05/2014 04:18 AM, Ed wrote:

I only had one large tree near the house but that was taken down a few years ago. A friend of mine does that for a living so I hired him ...me and another friend served as helpers.
One of the neighbors did not like all the noise and came over to complain. I thought it very dumb of him to yell at men wielding chain saws. I sent him home.

In my neighborhood a lot of the homes are simply gutted when sold and the new owner puts in rooms and apartments. A house a few doors down has 6 rooms on the first floor - and it's an 18' by 50' house just like mine. I doesn't make sense to renovate when that is a possibility. They are, of course, illegal but nobody seems to do anything about it.
Most of the rooms for rent go to students going to the local college.
On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 9:31:39 AM UTC-5, dgk wrote:

Then I guess you have your answer on the need to upgrade in order to sell the house.... If there is a good chance that the new owner is going to gut or do major renovations, then I sure wouldn't spend money on upgrading the electrical sysem. That kind of buyer would rather have the house at a lower price instead of buying an upgraded electrical system, at least part of which may have to be ripped out again anyhow.
On 3/5/2014 8:42 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote: ...

+100,000,000,000,...
Put it on the market and see what transpires before committing to anything more than the bare-bones appearance stuff.
Haller notwithstanding his wont for spreading FUD is nothing moreand unfortunately his only contribution to ahr...
On 3/5/2014 9:29 AM, dpb wrote: ...

And, of course, talk to a good local realtor to get input -- don't have to sign up necessarily to interview one and get their appraisal of market value and saleability with/without work; cosmetic and otherwise...

Do they come and inspect the house or just take the owner's word for it?
Or possbibly just go by when the house was built???

probably a mix of both but they definetely send a inspector out

I work in an insurance office every morning - my youngest daughter is assistant operations manager there. The broker ( or agent) asks the questions when you apply for insurance, and the answers are part of your insurance contract. If you lie, the insurance contract is null and void, and if caught you not only have no insurance, you can be charged with insurance fraud - and GOOD LUCK getting anything close to affordable insurance in the future.
Up here in Canada (specifically Ontario) it's been a long time since the insurance companies sent an inspector out to all applicants.
On 3/5/2014 11:20 PM, bob haller wrote:

My insurance company sent out an inspector when I bought the house, and has had somebody come by and photograph the property to establish its condition twice since then. They notify me and send me a copy of the report.