Seeking tips about a backyard swing

Page 2 of 2

Yes I realized that I had misspoke, I should have said circumference. I put my tape measure around the trees and the one on the left is 69" and the one on the right is 59".

Yes I was thinking the same thing, if the chains are a little wider apart at the top that would guide the swing through the trees better.
Thanks to everyone, especially you and Sonny, for their input. I have a pretty good idea how to proceed now.
Add pictures here
✖

I'm sort of hesitant to make a direct connection between the trees at the top with something like a 2 x 6 because these are really tall trees and I've noticed they can sway slightly in a very strong wind. I think just dropping a chain to the seat using eye bolts would work better.
Add pictures here
✖
On 6/20/2011 1:35 PM, Dennis M wrote:

You don't need a hard connection on both ends, or even one of them, really. Lag some blocks to the tree, and rest a floating box frame beam that encircles the trunk on the blocks. Unless trees really sway, it doesn't even have to go all the way around- a frame like a section of ladder would work. As a kid, we did floating supports for multi-limb treehouses like that. Tree could still flex with no problem, and the treehouse never got overstressed. For ease of construction, a couple long 2x6s or 2x8s in parallel, with cross-pieces to make them nice and stiff, maybe slanted in alternating directions so they make box sections but still drain well. Viewed from side, minus top and bottom edges, since I suck at ASCII art: I / \ / \ / \ / \ I . Put the beam together with deck screws, and hang swing from threaded rod run through both sides of beam, or from short 2x6s run flat across the top. As long as trees never sway so much that they spread enough to make the beam fall off the blocks, it should hold up longer than you do.
Legal disclaimer- use at your own risk. If you kill somebody with this design, remember what you paid for it. I am not an engineer or architect, blah blah blah.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 19, 5:15 pm, snipped-for-privacy@dennism3.invalid (Dennis M) wrote:

This is very interesting. I am new at groups. Can you tell me a little bit about this group?
Add pictures here
✖
Stormin Mormon said:

They're still called newsgroups, so the term was appropriate. More appropriate than quoting in your sig, as you did.
--

Eggs

Did you hear about the Buddhist who refused his dentist's Novocain during root
✖