Seeking tips about a backyard swing

Let's say I have two large trees in my backyard that are about 61" apart and 69" and 59" in diameter. Unfortunately there is no branch for a swing in the perfect place higher up between them, in fact the lowest branch is on the other side on one of the trees, and it's about 20 feet high (I don't think my ladder could reach it even if I wanted to).

Is there some way to affix a rope, maybe about 15 feet high, between the two trees so I can string a swing from it? What's the best way to do this without harming the trees and not have it slowly slip down? I thought this might make a neat summer project. Thanks.

Reply to
Dennis M

You have a problem with that?

Reply to
mm

I suspect he just wants a clear pictur of the situation, don't be an as99888.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Trees that size will not be harmer by screwing 1/2", 8" long eye bolts into them. Predrill 1/2" pilot holes slightly angled downward and coat the eye bolt threads with wax/parafin (latex works, too. Raw latex is the natural "waxy" coating on leaves). 1/4" or 3/8" S hooks to attach the swing's chains.

If you have some milkweed plants (Monarch butterfly caterpiller food = latex), rub the leaves on the bolt threads, if you don't have a candle handy.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

If it was me, I would get a stout section of metal pipe, maybe 2" or so, and hang it up in each tree (affix each end of the pipe with some rope, replacing the rope every few years). From the metal pipe strung up high between the two trees, you will have a location from which to attach your swings - you always want at least two swings, as swinging is more fun with a partner.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Finally some useful advice, many thanks! I notice you mention "swing's chains" and chains might be a better way to go than rope, it would be less likely to stretch or (if it's not a synthetic rope) rot.

For the seat, I guess I should try to find an oak plank about 2" thick, then paint it with enamel.

BTW, it will be great to swing in the kind of swing before the anal-retentive types started making them use "rubber belts" as seats in kid's swings as a safety precaution, I hate that!

Reply to
Dennis M

A 2" oak slab will be really heavy and your swinging motion will be sluggish, at best. Test: At arm's length, swing an empty and loaded suit case and see/feel the difference. If you are to make your own swing, I'd suggest cypress, Eastern Red cedar or Redwood and don't put any finish on it. Seat and backrest made of 3/8" - 1/2" thick slats, with gaps (#6 finishing nail diameter) between, so that it dries fast after a rain.

If you try to paint or finish any outdoor woodwork, in hopes it will be sealed, you're thinking wishfully. You are unlikely to seal every little nook & cranny and water will seep/wick under the coating and the wood will rot, even cypress, cedar and redwood. Not so much the wetness will casue the rot, but the decay from dirt, grime, bacterior, and other abnormal no-see-ums/growth associated with damp warm environments..... add spilled warmed beer in the mix, also!

1/4" chain, as any smaller may wear out and break faster than you think, depending on the connections you use ----> Some hardware stores have eye bolts with pressed-in high density plastic rotating bushings, specifically for hanging porch type swings. Small size S hooks hooked on eye bolts, alone (no plastic bushing), will wear thin and break.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Have you thought about using ratchet straps to hold the support pipe or whatever? Some examples at Amazon:

think even Walmart sells them in their automotive section. A rope shouldn't slip if you wrap it around each tree a few times.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Oh yea, a 2" piece of oak will be way heavier than the person on it. Geesh, wher do you guys come up with this stuff.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

The OP hasn't told us how tall/high he can reach with his own ladder, and the size/diameter of the trees at that height.

Reply to
hrhofmann

are there any higher branches? the higher, the better the swing. when i was a kid, we had the fire truck come out and use their hook&ladder to fasten a tire swing up about 50'.

Reply to
chaniarts

OK I will use something other than oak, I was just thinking about durability. I can probably find a piece of cedar that's suitable. I don't want a backrest, just a seat. I think about 30" x 12" would do the trick.

I've used Minwax "Polyshades - 1 step stain & polyurethane" on a porch (actually patio) swing that was unfinished in its kit. It's done pretty well since I finished it in 2007, but it's somewhat protected from the elements by the patio roof. I even used what was left over to finish the post that holds up my mailbox.

Are you talking about the type of chain that's commonly used on porch swings, or a more conventional type chain? I'm not even sure if I can buy the "porch swing chain" by the foot.

Yes as a matter of fact my patio swing uses these kind of hooks. I was hoping they might be available separately but I wasn't sure. They would probably be worth the bother of ordering online if the big box stores don't carry them.

Reply to
Dennis M

I'm sort of hesitant to make a direct connection between the trees at the top with something like a 2 x 6 because these are really tall trees and I've noticed they can sway slightly in a very strong wind. I think just dropping a chain to the seat using eye bolts would work better.

Reply to
Dennis M

That would be great but I don't live within the city limits, if my house caught on fire I'd have to use one of the county volunteer fire departments and I don't think they'd volunteer to do something like that!

Reply to
Dennis M

They might not "volunteer" but they might accept a donation.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

we had a volunteer fire department at that time. they loved doing things like this; community service and all. at xmas they put santa on the fire truck and drove through all the streets of the (albeit very) small town. still do, from what i hear.

Reply to
chaniarts

I took some pics of the trees to give you a better idea. After I stepped back and looked at it that tree on the right curves outward slightly so I may have to string a real strong chain at the top from tree to tree, give it a little slack, and drop the swing chains about 10 or 11 inches in from each tree.

Dennis M

Reply to
chaniarts

Ah, a simple single seat swing. Gotcha! All this while, I was assuming a multi-seat porch type swing. Yep, almost any good plank should do well for your seat. I would still suggest the most weather resistant lumber, though, as it would likely be just as easy to obtain as a non-weather resistant lumber. Those simple seats are easy to change, if they go bad, also.

Neither of those trees aren't dispositioned enough that a swing's good/ proper motion would be affected. I would invest in eye bolts, as initially recommended, hang and use the swing. If there are any issues that arise, your installation/positioning is not so complicated that any readjustment/reposition can't be done relatively easily.

In thinking porch swing (multi-person load bearing), I initially though fairly heavy guage linked chain. Use your common sense for chain size.... 1/8" guage.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

That must have been the year santa didn't bring me any presents! :)

Reply to
Larry W