Security for outdoor electrical outlet

Page 2 of 2

Marina wrote:

Hardware stores throughout the US and Canada now stock "while-in-use" outdoor outlet covers; these have a big cover that can be closed while a plug is in the socket. These are required by code for new installations, so the stores stock them. Some of these have padlock hasps. They may just be plastic but they'd stop this kind of theft-by-convenience, and they'd also discourage someone walking away with your Xmas lights extension cord.
Here's a manufacturer's PDF for one such device: http://www.passandseymour.com/pdf/Q02-03.pdf And here's another: http://tnbelectricalworld.tnb.com/contractor/docs/le_1_g_promogm1230.pdf
I've got nothing to do with either of these, I just googled for "lockable while-in-use".
Installation is a do-it-yourself job for someone who's used to electrical jobs, otherwise you'll need an electrician. Whether your condo board wants you mucking with the electrics is another question. But be aware that flicking the breaker on and off frequently may cause it to fail prematurely, as most breakers aren't designed for frequent switching.
As another poster has mentioned, it's likely to cost you more than the power savings, but it gives creeps one less excuse to be on your balcony.
Chip C Toronto
Depending on the age of the condo, that receptacle should be on a GFCI. If the outlet itself isn't the GFCI, have her find it and push the test buttom. Don't reset it.

google is your friend
http://www.asihome.com/ASIshop/product_info.php?products_id92
Personally I would have more fun getting the money from the HOA.

Yeah,that would be SUCH a great amount of money,well worth the effort.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Marina wrote:

Most in-use covers are lockable. Code Keeper weatherproof covers by red dot have a padlock hasp built in for a small padlock.
--
Tom Horne

We're getting this story second hand so we will acept it as presented. What did your sister do when she saw all this happen? Did she object, call the police, or allow the use? The painters were at fault for trespassing and for not acking permission to use the power. They had to use power somewhere and apparently this was the most convenient place. Your sister benefited in some respect by having the work done efficiently to her complex. For other projects the power usage will probably be somewhere else and your sister will gain the benefit of the workers plugging in at the easiest place then. The value of the power usage was likely minimal. I think a better solution is to make sure the management has a standing rule to notify owners ahead of time and seek permission where power is needed.