Security for outdoor electrical outlet

Page 1 of 2
Trying to locate online a cover to secure the outlet. My sister found the painters at her condo using her outlet to operate their sanders for the entire complex. They had to jump on her balcony to get at the outlet. I told her to turn off the breaker to the outlet. That's fine except she has to do it each day because the breaker also controls lights in her LR.
I've seen little cages that fit over thermostats that are in public buildings. I was hoping to find something like that. Most of the results I get on Google are for simple covers to protect children.
Does anyone know of such a cover that is lockable? Marina
This might be a bit of a stretch, but try to find where that outlet is being fed from, possibly from another outlet directly on the opposite side of the wall, and disconnect it from there so the outlet is dead. That way you can keep the breaker on.
Mikepier wrote:

I forgot to add that if that outside outlet feeds other outlets in the condo, then obviously you cannot do what I said. Instead it might be easier to just disconnect the wires from the outside outlet, but wire nut them together in the box so it can continue to feed the other outlets.
Mikepier wrote:

"...wire nut them together in the box..." ???
That ought to shut things down.
HeyBub wrote:

He meant, remove all the wires from the outside outlet and connect them black to black, white to white and ground to ground with three wirenuts, to continue the feed to the other outlets.
You really ought to read, think about, and try to understand the post before jumping in and trying to be cute, HeyBub.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
For added fun, add a switch. Wait till they start using the outlet, and then turn it off. When they come to see if anything came unplugged, turn it back on. When they get back to their sander, turn it off.
Repeat.
Oh yeah, when all this is going on, also call the cops. File trespass and theft charges.

This would be the most fun of all the answers...
--
Anthony

Have your electrician wire the outlet for 220 VAC. And then their tools will burn out. Or disappear in a puff of smoke.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

To the Stormin MORON: Can you say "Code violation"? I knew you could. And, no, that was *not* a typo.
--
Regards,
To Drag Mother (no that wasn't a typo): Can you say "theft"? No, I don't think you can. Can you say "folks who steal deserve what they get"? No, I don't think you can.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The law does not recognize that concept. Anyone who deliberately sets a booby trap (such as you're suggesting) will find himself both civilly and criminally liable for any injuries that result.
--
Regards,
All my outdoor outlets are on switches. Not only for security, but I consider it safer.

sander will spin real fast for a little while.....yeah...that's a good one!

I would think the cost to buy and install such a cover would exceed the cost of the electricity the painter's are using. Perhaps a polite request to the painters to use another outlet?
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:34:38 -0500, "JRanieri" <heck no> wrote:

they need at a flat rate per day.
Beachcomber
Marina wrote:

Cut their cord end off, throw it and the cord off of the balconey.

Unplug it first...
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Or leave it and cut it on the 4th of July.

Then wait for brick through window while you are absent!...