Sealing concrete driveway

Hi everyone!

I have a rather large driveway I had installed last year late. The concrete guy said that he was not able to seal it cause the temperatures were dropping pretty cold and it would not set right, and that this spring would be the time to do it. Well, it's almost spring!! I really don't wanna call the installer everytime I need the driveway sealed cause he's a little salty on this. I think he told me something like $350.00 to come and do it.

What is a good sealer to put on concrete that is clear or transparent that a rookie like me can apply easily? I have near 6000 sq. ft. of concrete if that helps any? I seen that at Lowe's and HD, they have a few sealers, but are they any good? A gallon of that stuff they have seems a bit salty too and you never get the coverage they advertise on those cans! Is there a wholesaler to get the right stuff somewhere online to cut the costs? Or what's my options for this job? A roll on sealer would be nice if one exists? I'm not sure what to use to apply this stuff? Any personal experiences with this?.

TIA,

Doug

Reply to
Doug

thompsons water seal, apply heavy. it will darken the concrete some but water and stains will not absorb into concrete.

apply with a roller, heavy spray on my small porch I dumped it on and broomed it around.

concrete lasts forever when sealed perodically

Reply to
hallerb

You missed the best time to seal it, that is before the first winter and the accompanying salt. Where I am we have had a very mild winter with very little salt used. I hope you were that lucky. If so doing it now should be almost as good.

I used Thomson's on mine. I did it once. I don't believe that there is much advantage of repeating the process as the concrete will cure of the years and it becomes less subject to problems.

Good Luck

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Well on older concrete the thompsons change is very obvious, water beads up, like water does on a newly waxed car. after a few years the beading is less obvious and goes away eventually.

to me this means it should be applied repeatedly. its not partucually expensive for what it protects.

Reply to
hallerb

Surprisingly, when tested on wood, Consumer Reports found there was no relationship between water beading and how well it protected the wood. I don't know if the same would supply to cement.

Reply to
Art

I suppose I should have asked, why do you want to seal it? Concrete is pretty tough stuff.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Arond here commercial buildings always seal concrete, as it keeps moisture and salt from tearing it up

Reply to
hallerb

I did mine the first year because of the salt, but concrete becomes rather immune to salt after a year or so. It takes concrete several year to fully cure.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I did mine the first year because of the salt, but concrete becomes rather immune to salt after a year or so. It takes concrete several year to fully cure. =================================================

Obviously you dont have any old concrete, thats been exposed to salt.

I have seen it disengrate:( Fix and thompsons it goes forever

Reply to
hallerb

Well, fortunate, I don't use any salt at all on my driveway, just a snow blower and a little sand. And if any of my vehicles drop any salt bombs, I am quick to knock it off towards the drain or yard and to throw a hot bucket of water over the spot.

As far as "Why" I want to seal it, well, I guess it just seems like the thing to do. I want to protect my investment and I figure that it sure can't hurt in guarding against leaf stains, grass stains, and maybe oil if I'm quick on the clean up. Then again, I might be kidding myself too.

So far I have been very lucky in the fact that the cement shows no wear anywhere at all, still looks new except for surface crud from the winter.

So is what you guys are saying is that I should not worry about sealing it at all after the 1st or 2nd year?? Also, it sounds as though most use Thompson's Water Seal? Is that as good as the actual specific "Driveway Sealers"?

I don't know guys, it seems to me that a little investment, might pay off big time after a few years. Like an insurance policy, is how I'm looking at it.

Any and all other thoughts are welcome!

Doug

Reply to
Doug

My drive is about 15 years old. It was sealed the first year and not since. Since I live in the snow belt, it gets salt on it every year. So far no damage at all.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan