sealant around steel shed

Have just erected a yardmaster tin shed. I need to put a 'sealant' around the edge of the steel frame base where it sits on the concrete foundation, to prevent water traveling in under the frame.

I normally get things like sealants from Wickes or Screwfix, but there are a bewildering array of different sealants available. Would anyone recommend which would be the one to use in this particular application please?

Reply to
john hamilton

recommend which would be the one to use

Silicon if you dont mind the cost.

Mastic if you do.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Look to Aldi or Lidl, silicon for under a quid a cartridge, I always stock up when they have it.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

If something like the above, don't think it needs any sealant. Have three of this and it never leaked - the roof will rust out befor it will leak. Mine were Arrow, not Yardmaster but it look the same.

<Frank>

recommend which would be the one to use

Its not the shed that matters, what matters is whether the concrete its mounted on gets standing water on it. If it does, it will get in under the bottom of the walls and what is inside the shed will get wet.

He&#39;s not saying that the shed itself leaks, just that water can get between the concrete floor and the walls.

but it look the same.

Rod Speed

Clear silicone caulk should work fine.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Guttering? Just be awae that any sealant onto concrete will eventually lift and llow the water to flow underneath it. If you concrete slab is bigger than your shed, it is inevitable.

Reply to
terryc

terryc wrote

Nope, silicone wont. Mastic wont either.

Wrong, as always.

Reply to
fang

I have not seen silicone resist moisture and steel will rust under silicone.

greg

Reply to
GregS

=================================== I would suggest a strong mortar weathering fillet about 2 or 3 inches high, depending on how much space there is on the slab. Leave a small gap at the top between fillet and shed wall and cover the gap with a basic &#39;frame sealant&#39; from Wickes when the fillet is dry. Be prepared to repair every 20 years.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero