Screws for an ipe deck?

The fellow that built my ipe deck used #6 deck screws. He likes #6 as he finds the heads of #8 to be unsightly. I'm finding these deck screws don't have a life as long as the wood. So for an addition I'm asking for stainless steel. What do other people use? In this case the wood being used is 2x2s and 2x4s.
Don Wiss wrote:

One of the hidden fastener systems would be my recommendation for the surface decking...
For structural, SS is good...

OP-
Number 6's are pretty small, did the contractor use SS #6's or steel screws with some sort of coating?
Duane-
I use SS deck screws but I'm not excited about all the surface penetrations. I've always wanted to try a hidden fastener system but none of them excited me. Do you have a hidden fastener system that you can recommend?
cheers Bob

The fellow that built my ipe deck used #6 deck screws, which are coated steel. They cannot be removed.
The deck is built. This addition is a trellis, so no hidden surface fasteners.

So the screws are not failing? You're concerned that they have a rated life less than expected life of the wood?
Just out of curiosity.....why can they not be removed?
cheers Bob

Some are failing. Some wood trim pieces are falling off.

Have you worked with ipe? A long #6 screw that is starting to rust isn't going to come out of ipe.
What is "ipe"?

Ipe is a hardwood from South America. Had fantastic durability and should last 50+ years with no treatment, probably longer if you put some Penofin or similar oil on it every few years.
fftt wrote: ...

Sorta' the same way, Bob--have used several different ones (probably 3 or 4 I suppose); each has strengths and drawbacks so that can't say I have a particular favorite. Maybe one of the guys that does this sorta' stuff more regularly still will have a personal favorite; the ones I did use were a while back and for a various bunch of other peoples' projects--church parsonage, a neighbor's house that was heavily tornado-damaged, etc., ... I'd have to research to even find out which place used which particular system and try to recall what liked/disliked about each at this point.
What I do like is the appearance and all I've used do the job adequately.
Oh---now I am remembering one thing--there was one that was the most pita that either took a slot or you were supposed to drive a clip into the edge somewhat like a large glazer's point--I'd stay away from anything that looks like that as it was quite labor-intensive.
How's that for equivocating???? :) Sorry I'm not of more specific help w/ a stellar recommendation.
--dpb

Duane-
Thanks...thats been my impression of the hidden fastener systems (HFS) as well. I've never tried any, we always just went back to screws through the board face. SS ones easily out last any outdoor timber structures in SoCal.
I'm moderately interested in a HFS, I have two small decks (~120 sq ft each) to reface. I just did some major maintaince on them that should give me another few years but 15 years in a mountain environment as taken its toll on #2 DF deck boards.
If I use ipe and face screws, the deck reface will probably outlast me.
If anyone knows of a good HFS I'd be interested in hearing about it. All the ones I've seen use galvanized hardware so I'm wonder how well they last too.
cheers Bob

I've seen people use HFS plus a good construction adhesive as a "belt and suspenders" approach.
Don Wiss wrote:

I do not know if ipe is pressure treated but newer, environmentally safer, treatments are more deleterious to galvanized screws. I would imagine best to use ss.