Schlage residential keyways

Is it possible to get Schlage residential grade lock hardware with something other than the normal C keyway (preferably E or CE)?

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

Dan Lanciani wrote the following:

I wonder if Schlage knows?

Reply to
willshak

The wholesale house you usually use, can find out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In residential grade like the F series or the cheaper B series deadbolts the only keyway available is the C keyway.

The better B series dead bolts and all of the A series and D series are available in any lettered keyway.

The exception to this general rule was the original design of the F series lock (long out of production) that used the standard style 5 pin cylinder.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

| > Dan Lanciani | > ddl@danlan.*com | | In residential grade like the F series or the cheaper B series deadbolts the | only keyway available is the C keyway.

I was afraid of that. I assume something like this:

will fit the deadbolts but be too long for the F series knobs I have.

| The better B series dead bolts and all of the A series and D series are | available in any lettered keyway. | | The exception to this general rule was the original design of the F series | lock (long out of production) that used the standard style 5 pin cylinder.

Hmm. That must be what I have (early 90's?). So in theory I could move some of those to where I want an E keyway (after replacing the cylinder) and replace them with newer F series. Everything would still look pretty much the same without having to upgrade all the knobs. Are 5-pin E keyway cylinders available?

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

The cylinder design is rather different. The one you sent the link, isn't even near close to the design of the Schlage F line cylinder.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The actual question I see here is: "Can I obtain an impossible item?"

The answer is no...

Residential grade hardware uses a totally incompatible cylinder design when compared to the rest of the Schlage product line...

What keyway do you WANT to use ? Start there and then select a lock which will support that choice of keyway...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Be careful these aftermarket cylinders have only a limited application.

Early 90's is probably too new. it was only the first generation of the F lock that would take a std. cyl.

But let's see if I can be of help. Exactly what are you trying to accomplish? To hey your house the same as your office or something?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

| > I was afraid of that. I assume something like this: | >

| > will fit the deadbolts but be too long for the F series knobs I have. | >

| | Be careful these aftermarket cylinders have only a limited application. | | | > | The better B series dead bolts and all of the A series and D series are | > | available in any lettered keyway. | > | | > | The exception to this general rule was the original design of the F | series | > | lock (long out of production) that used the standard style 5 pin | cylinder. | >

| > Hmm. That must be what I have (early 90's?). So in theory I could move | > some of those to where I want an E keyway (after replacing the cylinder) | > and replace them with newer F series. Everything would still look pretty | > much the same without having to upgrade all the knobs. Are 5-pin E keyway | > cylinders available? | >

| > Dan Lanciani | > ddl@danlan.*com | | Early 90's is probably too new. it was only the first generation of the F | lock that would take a std. cyl.

It's possible the one I looked at was older, so I should make a better inventory.

| But let's see if I can be of help. Exactly what are you trying to | accomplish? To hey your house the same as your office or something?

I have two adjacent houses and (small attached) office master-keyed to my liking. It's all residential hardware with C keyways. I just bought another house. I would like to make things slightly harder by using E or CE keyways there with an H key for my master, but only if it is a very low-effort project. Doing anything more interesting (even going to 6 pins) creates a cascade of work...

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

You are trying too hard... You probably don't even need the master key system you have for your situation, you would only need to carry what, two or three extra keys than the one you have right now...

Sounds like overkill...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Don,

You are making life difficult for yourself.

By my count you have a masterkey system with 4 different keys.

This is very much doable with a standard 5 pin system.

The need for multiple keyways comes in in much larger systems like multi story hotels and the like.

I will give you a hint, if you keep your eyes open on e-bay, you might score some nice Schlage A series locks, and those will outlive you. The F series is junk.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Give me a call and I will walk you through this.

Rich Howard @

877-631-9411

Reply to
richardlhoward