Save removal abandoned front yard gas lamp?

I have lived in my house in Silver Spring MD for last ten years, a pole mounted gas lamp in front yard has always been inoperative.
What is involved in safely removing it with respect to the gas feed? Where is this type of appliance connected to the gas mains?
Jerry
Jerome Whelan wrote:

Would likely be connected inside the house, with a shutoff valve. Call the utility; they may come out no charge.
Jim

at least.) 'Charmglow', or some similar silly word, right? I remember as a kid in the 60s, the Gas Company installed the damn things by the thousands in the new subdivision tract houses, as advertising that the houses were 'clean and natural gas heat'. They were a little fussy to set up and maintain, so each new homeowner got a sticker of who to call for upkeep on the thing. They never did impress me much. Likely to be a tiny side tap near gas meter feed, or close to where gas line goes through basement wall.
aem sends...