Sanding a Cedar Deck

I just stained my 2-year old cedar deck. Using a sanding attachment on my electric drill, I sanded the top rail of the deck nice and smooth before staining it a Sikkens Light Cedar stain. When the stain dried, I see where parts of it remain shiny...on the knots and grained section of the wood. Would it have been better to sand the top rail with a coarser grit sandpaper to roughen it up a little to minimize the shiny spots? Just wondering.

Thanks! Scott

Reply to
Scott

It was my experience when first staining my (then 2-yr-old) deck that sanding was a complete waste of time and effort.

Using a new belt sander, I smoothed the top rails then stained. Within a year (midwest weather), the grain had risen to the point where it "needed" sanding again. Save your energy for the next time it needs staining. It won't be long.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Great advice! Sanding is always worth avoiding!! Sand if you must, but an outdoor deck just doesn't rise to that level.

Reply to
Lawrence