Sanding a Cedar Deck

I just stained my 2-year old cedar deck. Using a sanding attachment on my electric drill, I sanded the top rail of the deck nice and smooth before staining it a Sikkens Light Cedar stain. When the stain dried, I see where parts of it remain shiny...on the knots and grained section of the wood. Would it have been better to sand the top rail with a coarser grit sandpaper to roughen it up a little to minimize the shiny spots? Just wondering.
Thanks! Scott

It was my experience when first staining my (then 2-yr-old) deck that sanding was a complete waste of time and effort.
Using a new belt sander, I smoothed the top rails then stained. Within a year (midwest weather), the grain had risen to the point where it "needed" sanding again. Save your energy for the next time it needs staining. It won't be long.
--
:)
JR

Jim Redelfs wrote:

Great advice! Sanding is always worth avoiding!! Sand if you must, but an outdoor deck just doesn't rise to that level.