Sand point going bad

I have a lake cabin with a shallow well and a sand point. It's starting to pull up more and more fine sand causing problems with the faucets, etc. The system is about 40+ years old so I assume that just replacing the sandpoint will solve the problem. Anybody have any experience with doing this? Should the pipe be replaced as well ? And what's the best way to drive the pipe? I should just pay the $3000 for a deep well and be done with it, but I'd like to get by on the cheap for a few years until I can do a complete remodel . Thanks

http://www.bradyproducts.com/faq.htm http://weather-mirror.nmsu.edu/hydrology/wellpoint.htm http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/naturalresources/DD0951.html
Bob