Sand or Weed Cloth first?

I'm just about done with a 32' x 13.5' awning. Underneath is a v shaped depression sloping to a natural drainage. I'm going to put in 3/4" gravel to level, then some paver sand, and a weed cloth. Does the weed cloth go over the gravel or the sand?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

If you're trying to give a natural drainage for rain, keep the sand out of it. [and I'd use landscape cloth between the original soil and the gravel.

If you're hoping the gravel will carry water away from below the sand, then between the sand and gravel. [and I'd still use on to isolate the gravel from the soil]

I think we're both talking about the same stuff- but I hesitate to call it weed cloth as it does little to suppress weeds. [maybe it makes them easier to pull] It does, however, serve to keep your rough gravel free from being clogged by sand or soil.

Jim [then again- life may be completely different in the desert- I'm dealing with wooded, Northeast US soils & climate]

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

This isn't the exact same scenario, but just giving my experience. We have an area under our deck that has remained fairly weed free for 6 years - its weed cloth on the original dirt, then regular sand, then gravel. However, its relatively flat, so most of the gravel and sand stays put. Regardless, I've been impressed with the weed control.

Reply to
stratfordone

-snip-

I wondered if this was a different spot- or if you'd decided to forgo the pavers for a while. In that case I'd sandwich the gravel with the landscape cloth. The layers will probably get perforated a bit when you compact it with the plate compactor- but it will slow the mixing of the soil and drainage gravel.

BTW- be sure you use sharp sand. The rounded stuff won't compact nearly as well.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Sorry. Important fact left out. We're putting in pavers.

doh

steve

Reply to
SteveB

We had a patio done with gravel, sand and then pavers. The pavers were then covered with sand and a "shaker" worked all the sand down between the pavers. The patio was then sealed with a sealant. No weed cloth was not used at all. We had no weeds at all after 20 years. Even the ants couldn't get through the surface.

Reply to
Worn Out Retread

I don't think weed cloth does much to keep weeds out, especially under pavers. In my experience, weeds don't start underneath the gravel or pavers, weed seeds get washed into the cracks and grow down.. A previous owner used weed-block fabric at various places around the house, and all it has done is get in the way of doing any other work. I think it's an unnecessary expense under pavers, and a hinderance anywhere else, and won't use it here.

Reply to
JimR