Sand in deck paint for non-skid surface?

Page 1 of 2
I'm rebuilding a 13 step outdoor wooden staircase and entry porch on an 80 year old house. I bought some Benjamin Moore Deck and Patio paint for the finish coat. It says on the can to use sand in the paint for a non-skid finish. But it doesn't say anything about which grit of sand to use and in which proportion. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
Thanks, Jack
Simpson wrote:

What did Benj. Moore customer service saywhen you contacted them?
jJim McLaughlin wrote:

Good answer!
I'm am *so* there!
jJim McLaughlin wrote:

Crap!
They want my first-born just to be able to email them!

Under some circumstances, that could be one hell of a bargain. <BG>
BobR wrote:

Good one!

Yes, very good one :-(

Why not just call a local paint store that sells it. If they don't know let them call cust service.
Red Green wrote:

The local real paint store (not big box) has the grit on hand. All you need to do is say that you want anti skid and they pop the lid, add the appropriate amount, close it and send it for a ride on the shaker mixer.

Home depot sells the silica sand for this purpose. I've used it but it doesn't really add much traction to the surface at all.
Simpson wrote:

Jack,
Having done this many times, I will tell you how I do it. Paint the surface that you want to be non skid, then take course sand (such as play sand or masonry sand) and broadcast it onto the painted surface. I just take a coffee can with a plastic lid and cut some holes in the plastic lid, then use it like a salt shaker. When you have a pretty even coat, backroll the surface with a paint roller.
Works alot better than mixing it with the paint, where it all seems to clump together and never mixes well.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Play sand works. Brush or roll on the paint, sprinkle with sand. A light coat is all that is needed.
Simpson writes:

Don't use silica sand, play sand, or such. It is a very hard abrasive and will destroy stuff as it sheds off the paint. Paint stores sell pumice for an anti-skid additive.
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:09:38 -0600, Richard J Kinch

Paint stores that sell silica sand for paint must have it wrong then?
http://www.lanemt.com/traction_sand.htm
http://www.usg.com/navigate.do?resource=/USG_Marketing_Content/usg.com/web_files/products/prod_details/SHEETROCK_Brand_Sand_Finish_Paint_Additive.htm
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net writes:

I wouldn't find that surprising. People want non-skid paint, they sell it.
If possible, I would use composite instead of wood. No painting needed, never rots, it's non-skid to start with.
Only issue is composite needs more support since it is not as rigid as wood.

Yes.
Note that the USG product you cite is "volcanic". That is, pumice.

Here's a site with some interesting products. Look at the oyster shell and rubber grit and the reason they recommend it. http://www.epoxyproducts.com/6_nonskid.html
Thanks to all.
I decided to use Behr Non-Skid Floor Finish Additive sold at Home Depot.
I don't know exactly what it is but it's white, very fine and gritty.
Simpson writes:

http://www.behr.com/behrx/act/view/products_detail?prodGroupId &catName=Specialty&catId"
Polypropylene beads according to the MSDS.
On Wednesday, January 30, 2008 7:59:25 PM UTC-5, Simpson wrote:

I would make sure to coat the steps with a non slip coating for safety concerns. A good one that works on wood is http://solidstepcote.com