Sand in deck paint for non-skid surface?

I'm rebuilding a 13 step outdoor wooden staircase and entry porch on an

80 year old house. I bought some Benjamin Moore Deck and Patio paint for the finish coat. It says on the can to use sand in the paint for a non-skid finish. But it doesn't say anything about which grit of sand to use and in which proportion. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thanks, Jack

Reply to
Simpson

What did Benj. Moore customer service saywhen you contacted them?

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

Good answer!

I'm am *so* there!

Reply to
Simpson

Crap!

They want my first-born just to be able to email them!

Reply to
Simpson

Home depot sells the silica sand for this purpose. I've used it but it doesn't really add much traction to the surface at all.

Reply to
tnom

Jack,

Having done this many times, I will tell you how I do it. Paint the surface that you want to be non skid, then take course sand (such as play sand or masonry sand) and broadcast it onto the painted surface. I just take a coffee can with a plastic lid and cut some holes in the plastic lid, then use it like a salt shaker. When you have a pretty even coat, backroll the surface with a paint roller.

Works alot better than mixing it with the paint, where it all seems to clump together and never mixes well.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Play sand works. Brush or roll on the paint, sprinkle with sand. A light coat is all that is needed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Don't use silica sand, play sand, or such. It is a very hard abrasive and will destroy stuff as it sheds off the paint. Paint stores sell pumice for an anti-skid additive.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Paint stores that sell silica sand for paint must have it wrong then?

tnom

Here's a site with some interesting products. Look at the oyster shell and rubber grit and the reason they recommend it.

Abe

I wouldn't find that surprising. People want non-skid paint, they sell it.

If possible, I would use composite instead of wood. No painting needed, never rots, it's non-skid to start with.

Only issue is composite needs more support since it is not as rigid as wood.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Yes.

Note that the USG product you cite is "volcanic". That is, pumice.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Thanks to all.

I decided to use Behr Non-Skid Floor Finish Additive sold at Home Depot.

I don't know exactly what it is but it's white, very fine and gritty.

Reply to
Simpson

Under some circumstances, that could be one hell of a bargain.

Reply to
BobR

Good one!

Reply to
Simpson

Polypropylene beads according to the MSDS.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Simpson wrote in news:Byuoj.5280$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.net:

Yes, very good one :-(

Reply to
Red Green

Simpson wrote in news:bg9oj.8805$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net:

Why not just call a local paint store that sells it. If they don't know let them call cust service.

Reply to
Red Green

The local real paint store (not big box) has the grit on hand. All you need to do is say that you want anti skid and they pop the lid, add the appropriate amount, close it and send it for a ride on the shaker mixer.

Reply to
George

I would make sure to coat the steps with a non slip coating for safety concerns. A good one that works on wood is

ticer06