Safe & effective (and easy) drain cleaning?

Page 1 of 2

About 2-3 times a year, the sink in the bathroom starts to drain very slowly and I have to take the S-trap apart and clean out the gunk. The gunk contains some hair, but not a lot. It's mostly a black, tarry/gelatinous mess.
I used to use one of the liquid drain cleaners, but a plumber saw a bottle and told me not to use it anymore.
Are there drain cleaner products that are effective and safe? It's not a huge task to take the S-trap apart, but it would be easier to just pout something down the drain.
Thanks
Remove the strainer and shove an old piece of garden hose down the drain.
"Prof Wonmug" wrote in message

Google Drain Blaster
There are 2 types:
Drain-Blaster (hyphenated) is a thin plastic hose that attaches to your faucet with the adapter provided and uses a "high-pressure" nozzle on the other end to clear the clog. It's basically a plastic snake that blasts water out of the working end. I used to use one before I replaced my galvanized pipes with PVC and stopped getting clogs.
Drain Blaster (no hyphen) is a air-pressure "gun" that you pump up, place over the drain and supposedly blast the clog away. Videos can be found via Google. I've never tried one of those.
Prof Wonmug wrote:

I boil water, add some Dawn, and pour in slowly. Rinse, pour down a little bleach to soak in the trap. Taking globs of slimy hair out of a drain is the most disgusting chore there is :o)
Ranks right up there with poopy diapers.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

That's for Mom to do. I'm Grandpa ... Only fun stuff for me.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Until granny gets old and sick :o)

Maybe not nice from me, but I'm planning to go before se does ...
--
Best regards
Han
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm a mom - immune to poopy diapers and cleaning up emesis.

Need is a great thing. It's by choice that I am letting others do it, I am sure I could do it. I did (once only) for Mom.
--
Best regards
Han

I do the above but put a little ammonia down the drain first, letting it set for an hour then rinsing before I do anything else. The ammonia relaxes all the hair and dissolves soap. I also bought one of those little mini drain snakes like you see on the TV adds. Those things really work great.
Jimmie

I have the same problem in my shower. I use baking soda and vinegar.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4504_unclog-sink-naturally.html
Don't have to use those exact amounts. I use about 2 tablespoons of baking soda and pour in a little vinegar at a time until I hear the foaming stop. Usually takes 2 times to clear the drain. Works great and is a LOT cheaper than drain cleaner.
Ron | 2010-01-31 | 1:46:13 PM wrote:

Here're a couple of recipes you can try for preventive maintenance: http://thesuperhandyman.com/tips.html#anchor1463
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Do you have any solutions to keep my hair from falling out which is causing the problem? <G>
Duct tape.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I always add lots of detergent to emulsify the grease so it doesn't harden down the line.
Brilliant. Actually, I would have never thought of that.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus