Safe Disposal of Stale Gasloline

Page 3 of 3
"Red Cloud©" wrote:

I'm not doing it, but knowing how long many cars run w/ sizable oil consumption and comparing that w/ the one time mixture of say 32:1 of 2-cycle oil for 1 gal in 15 gal tank, I'll venture the chances are pretty minimal in that type of volume to see discernable damage.
You have specific information to the contrary on actual volumes required?
Add pictures here
βœ–
I dump it on the weeds growing in cracks in sidewalk... probably illegal... but hey... it just evaporates away doesn't it???
Add pictures here
βœ–
Red Cloud© wrote: ...

That will not likely cause a problem.
Consider this. Most car manufacturers today believe that a quart of oil every 1,000 miles is acceptable. (I don't, but that is another issue). In any case they are talking about burning a quart of engine oil in 1,000 miles That would be a quart of oil in maybe 40 gallons of gas. Mixing a gallon of 2 cycle mix with say 10 gallons of gas would give you far less oil per gallon than the manufacturer says is safe, and it is oil designed to burn in an engine unlike engine oil.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
βœ–
Joseph Meehan wrote:

That parallels my thinking as well....there are a lot of older vehicles still passing emission checks that a significant (imo) amount of oil...
Add pictures here
βœ–
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Damn, there is always someone who bring up an unassailable point.
Like you, I don't think 1 qt of oil per 1000 miles is ok, but Ford does. Luckily, the oil level in my truck stays pretty level, not down more than 1/2 qt maximum after 3000 hard miles. Otherwise, it would go away real quick and become a Chevy or a Dodge.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I know for a fact that adding stale gasoline to the tank on a Farmall Cub can run just fine and cause all the valves to stick when the engine cools down. I do not know just how old the gas was or what the ratio of old to new gas was but I do not put any more stale gas in my tanks after that experience. Your experience may differ. Don Young

Add pictures here
βœ–
Joseph Meehan wrote:

OK, I did this...
1 qt/1000 miles at 25 mpg --> 1 qt/40 gal --> 1/4 gal:40 gal --> 1:160.
My example of 1:32 in a 1:15 dilution tank is 1:15*32 --> 1:480
As you say, that's a factor of three dilution over what would be considered by many as "normal". It's unlikely there are many vehicles of significant mileage that don't use close to that per tankful although, of course, not all of it is burned.
So, I'm still comfortable that such a dilution will not be the cause of immediate failure of a catalytic converter. I would still try to use any old 2-cycle prepared fuel by diluting it in a 2-cycle engine, but think Red Cloud's concern is way overblown.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Duane Bozarth wrote:

May be true, but your tires will go flat, the steering wheel come loose, and your windshield will crack.
Add pictures here
βœ–

βœ–
If you are near a boat landing you can put the old gas with boats that have large gas tanks and it will not effect their gas. I guess anything with a large gas tank would do.

βœ–
W. Wells wrote:

I don't think that is a good idea. Running out of gas (or having your engine quit due to some problem in your car is one thing, generally is it inconvenient. Having your engine quit in a boat boat is much more likely to be life threatening.
I sure would not put anything into my boat tank that I would not put in my car's tank.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
βœ–
Vince wrote:

If it is so old that it is leaded gas, don't put it in your car, as it will foul the catalytic converter.
Add pictures here
βœ–

If it's that old (10 plus years), would it even burn ???
Add pictures here
βœ–
Mark wrote:

Supposedly it comes from dead dinosaurs.
Add pictures here
βœ–