Safe Disposal of Stale Gasloline

Page 2 of 3
SteveB wrote:

new gas and add some denature alcohol (up to 15 percent). Crank it a few time, it should start. If you don't want to run all of the gas-alcohol mixture through the engine, dump it out and fill the tank with fresh gas.
SteveB wrote:

Yes, generally it does smell different, after all it is different. It is also true that the gas can go bad because some of it evaporates. Not all the parts evaporate at the same rate. However even gas in a sealed container will go bad, but not because of evaporation.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Low boiling fractions may evaporate, leaving a thicker fuel, of which, certain components (so-called olefins) may decompose. I suspect that it would also pick up some water. Overall, it's lower octane.
Walter R. wrote:

used in a 2 cycle engine. It will certainly last from season to season and most certainly from 2 years. From my own experience I have had no problem with gas/oil mix that is 3-4 years old. BUT, you really should mix only the amount you need for each season. In fact, it would make more sense to only mix 2 quarts at a time. I don't use my new chain saw much, so I just mix a quart at a time.
The gasoline molecules combine with oxygen and make tarry sticky substances. So another way of reducing the problem of going stale is to make sure the storage container is nearly full.

According to group regular, Richard Kinch, you can safely drink it. Problem solved!
rusty redcloud
Vince wrote:

If it is less than a year old, it isn't stale. If it still smells and looks like regular gas, it isn't stale. If you have small amounts of stale gas you can dilute it (about 1 gallon per 10 gallons of fresh gas) and burn it in your vehicle or other engine.
If you really want to throw it away and it is really stale, then call the appropriate city or community office for disposal of hazards materials --oils, paints, etc. Check also check with auto supply stores.
I just dump mine on my annoying neighbors yard. Stale or not, it does a right fine job killing his grass! (kind of fun to spell words out in his yard this way too!).
Kidding of course. You might check with your city's waste department. Ours has contracted with a private company to accept hazardous materials such as gasoline, oil, and such. Doesn't cost anything either. Cheers, cc

Gotta admit i get a 'gas' out of the idiots here saying stale gas is an urban myth. LOL, gas without stabilizer that goes beyond a couple months is a clogged carb looking for a place to happen. BTW even winter spring and summer gas differ at time of delivery, try starting a tractor using winter gas in the heat of summer, it just runs like shit even with stabilizers.
-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com
Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.

The "stale" gasloine that I am referring to sat in a typical container in my garage since last fall. When attempting to run my mower, the engine would stall out. Fresh gasline solved that problem.
The color of the gasline looks like urine. I would not dare to put it into the gas tank of my 1991 car. The gas is now sitting in a covered plastic cat litter container in my backyard.
Other than pouring the gasoline over an area where termites are supsected to be thriving and lighting a match, I would prefer to dispose of it safely.

Vince wrote:

That's not all that long and it will be fine if you dilute it in any vehicle.
The color is probably the same as the color it started--that's the dye color for what is in use here as well...
just pour it on some weeds , or mix it with used oil. i would not put rotten gas in your car, true some may have gotten away with it but ive seen it stop fuel pumps and clog filters. lucas
On Mon, 16 May 2005 21:10:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

I believe that it would be foolish to mix contaminated/stale gasoline with the car gasoline. I wont do that here.
Vince wrote:

I would submit if the car is being used regularly and the dilution is on the order of 10:1 (as it would be w/ the quantities talked about here) you'd have a very difficult time in telling...
On Tue, 17 May 2005 12:29:07 -0500, Duane Bozarth

Until your catalytic converter clogs, or your injectors fizzle...
rusty redcloud
"Red Cloud" wrote:

After burning one gallon of (maybe) six-month's old fuel mixed in w/ 15 gal or more of new? Not likely...
On Tue, 17 May 2005 12:44:31 -0500, Duane Bozarth

Sorry, I checked back, and I got this thread confused with another similar one that involved discarding old gas with 2-stroke oil mixed into it, which WILL ruin a catalytic converter, and potentially plug injectors.
rusty redcloud
"Red Cloud" wrote:

I didn't see that thread (thank goodness :) ), but I'd think that highly unlikely also at similar volumes...
On Tue, 17 May 2005 12:54:13 -0500, Duane Bozarth

Nope, even an engine that simple burns a little oil because the rings are worn can destroy the converter pretty quickly. They don't tolerate oil very well at all.
rusty redcloud
"Red Cloud" wrote: ...

But that's a continual situation, not a one-shot deal...an entirely different scenario.
On Tue, 17 May 2005 14:13:26 -0500, Duane Bozarth

Nope, Duane, I said QUICKLY. There are additives in oil that are deadly to the converter even in what "sounds" like relatively small doses.
You are free to do whatever you want, but you also get to pay for your mistakes. I'm just trying to save you some trouble and expense.
rusty redcloud