Safe Disposal of Stale Gasloline

Low boiling fractions may evaporate, leaving a thicker fuel, of which, certain components (so-called olefins) may decompose. I suspect that it would also pick up some water. Overall, it's lower octane.

Reply to
Darryl

I don't believe it is better today. We used to store gas in a barrel and not replenish for several years. Never had a problem with any engine even if the gas had sat in the tank for several years. But I did ruin an engine about 5 years ago. We used the pickup primarily for vacationing and I was busy and didn't go for about

3 years. Some but not all of the gas had been in the tank for nearly 3 years some for only one year. The engine ran so quite you could hardly hear it when I picked up some long wood. 6 months on a trip to the dump, 5-6 push rods stuck and were bent (boy what a clatter). Nope, gas in the 50s and 60s was more stable that the current mess.
Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Next time, dump the gas out of the tank, add some new gas and add some denature alcohol (up to 15 percent). Crank it a few time, it should start. If you don't want to run all of the gas-alcohol mixture through the engine, dump it out and fill the tank with fresh gas.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I've never had a problem with a gas/oil mixture used in a 2 cycle engine. It will certainly last from season to season and most certainly from 2 years. From my own experience I have had no problem with gas/oil mix that is 3-4 years old. BUT, you really should mix only the amount you need for each season. In fact, it would make more sense to only mix 2 quarts at a time. I don't use my new chain saw much, so I just mix a quart at a time.

The gasoline molecules combine with oxygen and make tarry sticky substances. So another way of reducing the problem of going stale is to make sure the storage container is nearly full.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Or the gummy old oil that had been there all that time. I really don't believe it was the gas.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Yes, generally it does smell different, after all it is different. It is also true that the gas can go bad because some of it evaporates. Not all the parts evaporate at the same rate. However even gas in a sealed container will go bad, but not because of evaporation.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Gotta admit i get a 'gas' out of the idiots here saying stale gas is an urban myth. LOL, gas without stabilizer that goes beyond a couple months is a clogged carb looking for a place to happen. BTW even winter spring and summer gas differ at time of delivery, try starting a tractor using winter gas in the heat of summer, it just runs like shit even with stabilizers.

-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com

Reply to
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

The "stale" gasloine that I am referring to sat in a typical container in my garage since last fall. When attempting to run my mower, the engine would stall out. Fresh gasline solved that problem.

The color of the gasline looks like urine. I would not dare to put it into the gas tank of my 1991 car. The gas is now sitting in a covered plastic cat litter container in my backyard.

Other than pouring the gasoline over an area where termites are supsected to be thriving and lighting a match, I would prefer to dispose of it safely.

Reply to
Vince

That's not all that long and it will be fine if you dilute it in any vehicle.

The color is probably the same as the color it started--that's the dye color for what is in use here as well...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Ok I did not change the oil and the problem did not repeat. The valve stems were glued in their bores no way oil is going to do that. Varnish in the gas, gets built up on the stems when you run the engine with stale gas, hardens when you let the engine cool. next time it is started it carks. Ever work on a carb that was allowed to dry out? Believe me there is varnish in that gas. Dave

Reply to
Dave Morrison

just pour it on some weeds , or mix it with used oil. i would not put rotten gas in your car, true some may have gotten away with it but ive seen it stop fuel pumps and clog filters. lucas

Reply to
ds549

I believe that it would be foolish to mix contaminated/stale gasoline with the car gasoline. I wont do that here.

Reply to
Vince

I would submit if the car is being used regularly and the dilution is on the order of 10:1 (as it would be w/ the quantities talked about here) you'd have a very difficult time in telling...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Until your catalytic converter clogs, or your injectors fizzle...

rusty redcloud

Reply to
Red Cloud©

After burning one gallon of (maybe) six-month's old fuel mixed in w/ 15 gal or more of new? Not likely...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Sorry, I checked back, and I got this thread confused with another similar one that involved discarding old gas with 2-stroke oil mixed into it, which WILL ruin a catalytic converter, and potentially plug injectors.

rusty redcloud

Reply to
Red Cloud©

I didn't see that thread (thank goodness :) ), but I'd think that highly unlikely also at similar volumes...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Nope, even an engine that simple burns a little oil because the rings are worn can destroy the converter pretty quickly. They don't tolerate oil very well at all.

rusty redcloud

Reply to
Red Cloud©

"Red Cloud©" wrote: ...

But that's a continual situation, not a one-shot deal...an entirely different scenario.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Nope, Duane, I said QUICKLY. There are additives in oil that are deadly to the converter even in what "sounds" like relatively small doses.

You are free to do whatever you want, but you also get to pay for your mistakes. I'm just trying to save you some trouble and expense.

rusty redcloud

Reply to
Red Cloud©