Safe and Humane Mouse Eradication

Page 2 of 2
Try an instant lighting propane torch.
I like your writing style. I'm much the same way about woodchuck (groundhog).
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Google Rodenator and look at the videos. Some impressive elimination of burrowing animals.
Steve
_______@_______.com wrote:

mice clean up and remove all sorts of leftovers of others including people and animals. they are natures garbagemen. leave behind fertilizer.
as long as they arent in my home I dont care, and if they get indoors I trap and relocate back outside.
key is to seal home well so they cant get back inside easy////
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I would seal the house as best as I can. I won't torture them. But those that come in should not expect to reproduce and pass on any genes that carry any instinct that a house is safer than the outdoors where mice are food for wildcats, owls, snakes, and other predators.
What I have heard works well and had some positive experience with: snap traps with peanut butter, or peanut butter and popcorn. It can help to handle the traps with gloved hands to avoid leaving your scent on them. I would throw away used traps and get new ones - they are cheap enough, and some mice will avoid a trap that has the scent of another mouse dying there. Take advantage of the fact that mice like to run along walls and put traps in their way. Sometimes a mouse is caught by a trap not because the trap was attractive but because the trap was in the mouse's path and the mouse thought it was safe to run over the trap. Mice like to run along walls because it is harder for owls to catch them there.
If I was going to deport mice rather than kill them, I would make a homebrew trap including an automatically actuated shop vac. Given my impression that most animals fear vacuum cleaners as badly as anything, I think a critter that got inhaled by one and survived will avoid the vacuum cleaner trap, and preferably the house that had it and houses in general. I have heard that deported mice like to come back.
Mice will not only steal your food, but also contaminate it (and anything else) with their urine and their droppings. They will pee and poop *anywhere*, sometimes even in a container of food. And they will sit on things, after not using toilet paper. And they carry diseases, meaning any food in any containers that they got into has to be thrown out.
Gary Brown wrote:

Get rid of the food!
Let the cat fend for itself.....That's what cats do.
Gary Brown wrote:

Let's drop the "humane". Don't torture meese, but please consider the fact that they are creatures that can bring disease into the home. Clean everything like mad (crumbs in cupboards and under the fridge, etc.). Feed pets once or twice a day, but don't leave food down on the floor, at least until mice are gone. Plug every minute opening that you can find - around hose bibs, dryer vents, gaps in siding, etc. Meese like warmth - gas appliance pilot, fridge motor. My favorite places for mouse traps, which usually kill instantly, are behind stove and fridge, where pets can't get to them. Put all cereal and grain (pet food, too) in hard containers with tight closure. If you have clothing and pet food stored in garage, it is likely they have set up housekeeping there - very cozy. Trash cans in garage with tight-fitting lid? If a mouse has the misfortune to be caught in trap and not die immediately, it is less of a misfortune than pets or family getting something that mice or their fleas carry.

Get yourself a Great Horned Owl.They well eat the rodents plus (and I'm not kidding) that lazy ass cat and any small yappy-ass dogs.