running wire perpindicular to floor joists

I started my re-wiring project and want to avoid drilling my undersized 2x8 joists. So I started by running wire along the joist above the panel to the center beam. I then ran the wire along the side of the beam til I got to the joist I needed to run the wire back out.

Well after doing only four circuits I realized that this was not going to work. I will quickly fill up both sides of the beam by stapling to the sides of it. Looked at an interesting product from Arlington but at $4 a foot a little too pricey.

So I called my friendly neighborhood inspector and explained the problem he said I could do this:

1 Staple all the wires running perpindicular to the bottom of the joists. 2 Put furring strips on either side of the run of wires 3 Put drywall from strip to strip to protect the wires

I was a little surprised that I could simply 'build a box' around the wires but happy that it will be a lot eaiser to run my wires. It never hurts to call and ask a question...

Reply to
Limp Arbor

You may want to avoid drilling, but the strength is basically at the top and bottom. Holes in the center essentially don't affect strength.

Another way to do the wiring is to put multiple circuits in PVC or thinwall conduit and run them to J-boxes at appropriate locations. (You need to know what the derating rules are.)

Would think if as many cables are installed as shown they would get hot and run afoul of "where ... multiconductor cables are installed without maintaining spacing for a continuous length longer than 24 in. ... the allowable ampacity of each conductor shall be reduced..." (310.15-B-2)

Most inspectors can be real helpful if you basically know what you are doing.

Reply to
bud--

I was just in an attic in a friends house. The house is 5 years old. In the attic, the wiring for a couple of lights, outlets etc is just romex and it run over the top of and perpendicular the roof cross ties or whatever you call them that are at about or just above head level. I didn't really check, but I don't think it's even stapled down at regular intervals. It didn't look Kosher to me.

Regaring Limp Arbor's situation, I always thought you could just nail up some shingle rib perpendicular to the joists and then staple romex to it. I'm curious why the inspector wanted it covered in sheet rock? Wouldn't seem to be any different than stapling it to the center beam, no?

Reply to
trader4

He only said I needed to cover it if it was stapled underneath and perindicular to the joists. If I stapled it to the side of a joist or to the sill plate no need to cover it. I also could drill through the joists and not cover it.

I guess the theory is that if the wire is running through holes in the joists no way it can be pulled down. And with support underneath the wire also less likely to be pulled down than if it was just stapled.

Reply to
Limp Arbor