Run romex along side heading duct?

I'm planning to run two new 15 amp circuits from the basement up to the second floor of our 36 year old house. These will be used for general outlets and a future whole house fan. I've found a first floor wall I can run it through, but the space between the studs currently has a metal heating duct in it. There is enough space next to the duct, but is it acceptable (and safe) to run standard romex along side a residential, forced air heating duct? The wire wouldn't be attached to the duct, but it would be within an inch or two, and probably touching it in several places. I wouldn't think the temp would be a problem; it would be nowhere near the 90C temp rating of the wire, but I wasn't sure if there might be any long term effects on the wire. It would be along side it for about 10 feet.
Just to make it clear, I am NOT talking about running it inside the duct.
Any information would be appreciated.
Mike O.
you're perfectly fine as long as your not inside the plenum

Thanks. It's pretty much what I figured, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something. We just moved in a few years ago and are planning to stay for a long time, and I didn't want to do something either dangerous, or it's going to give me problems down the roadl.
- Mike O.

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 00:20:25 GMT, "Mike O'Donnell"

Safer would be MC cable but you might end up with a noise problem if it was vibratinmg against the duct.

Dont really see a problem with it, dont it myself. Just keep the wire as far as possible away from the duct. (dont want any sharp corners (if any) coming in contact with the cable.
Tom