Roundup Concentrate

Page 2 of 2

From that link it states "(glyphosate) is a phosphonomethyl derivative....".
Probably the root of the story I heard is that since phosphoric acid (Ospho), which is a rust killer, sounds somewhat similar and someone tied the two together.
On 9/3/2012 12:58 PM, Red wrote: ...

There are all sorts of versions I've heard of a "variation on a theme" on the story.
From what I recall, a German(?) pharmaceutical company was first to make and patent glyphosate but it showed no promising effects and it and a bunch of other IP was sold and eventually the whole lot was purchased by Monsanto w/ glyphosate amongst everything else. It took John Franz to start to systematically explore the botany and chemistry together to finally make the connection and the rest is, as they say, history.

DD_BobK wrote:

The original was 41%, and it used to cost almost $50 per quart. It is still available as 41%, but also 50.5%, 25%, 18%, and who knows what all. Glyphosate is off-patent now, so I buy cheaper knockoff brands (I think Enforcer is one of them) and I try to always get 41% because that's what I'm used to.
Bob