roto zip drywall cutter question

I'm using a 1/8" roto zip sabre cut bit (wood and plastic siding) to cut drywalls but having a little problem following the outline of electrical boxes or wall studs. Trimming the drywall off using the wall studs as a guide I sometimes cut into the wood or trying to following the outline of an electrical box the bit sometimes wonder off. Am I using the right bit or just my poor technique? I now have a new appreciation for the pros making it look so easy trimming around the walls and boxes.
# Fred # wrote:

Its your technique. The last two you cut will be perfect. ;-)
--
Grandpa

# Fred # wrote:

Are you cutting clockwise around the electrical boxes? If you do that then the clockwise rotation of the bit tends to pull the bit away from the edge of the box. If you make the cut counter clockwise around the box the bits rotation tends to pull the bit tight to the work. I would suggest that you always run your cuts in the direction that will cause the leading edge of the bit to rotate away from the work so that it tends to push the tool tighter to the cut.
--
Tom Horne

# Fred # wrote:

1. You want to use guide-point bits.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
2. Cut counter-clockwise around the outlet box. This will make the bit tend to hug the box rather than wander. (If you're cutting out along studs for a window or door opening, you'd want to cut clockwise.)

Thanks, will get some guide point bits.
How about an old- fashioned hand powered drywall saw? Cuts nice square holes everytime.

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 23:15:02 -0600, "J.A. Michel"

Did you ever use a sheet rock hammer, square on the head with and a blade on the serious end ? I've cut many a outlets with one.
-- Oren

If you are cutting into the wood, too much of your bit is exposed.
--Andy Asberry-- ------Texas-----

Not answering your question but why not just use a jab saw? You're cutting outlet boxes, not intricate artwork. With a jab saw it should take all of 2 minutes to cut the hole and since you're doing it by hand can follow the pattern perfectly.