Roofing question

I am going to make an awning. I have built a lot of carports in the past, as well as repaired them. But, they were all flat, with no hips.

Here's what I want to make. A 32' long by 14' out awning. Then 90 degrees to a 18' long 16'3" out awning. What I am concerned is the area that will connect the two that will require a hip, since the projections are not the same..

The eave height will be level all around. The peak height will be the same all around.

I have laid out a MONGO frame with 3 x 3 x .120" posts, with 14 ga. 6" C channel to support it.

Does the sheeting just die as it goes into the hip? IOW, can I just do the

32 x 14 foot section, the 18 x 16'3" section, put a hip, and then lay and trim the sheeting from the eave to the hip and trim off the sheets as they hit the hip? Then put a formed piece of flashing all along the hip?

I will finish the eaves with a gutter assembly.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I'm not sure I follow your question. Whether you're talking about a metal roof or plywood sheathing with shingles, the sheets have to stop at the hip rafter. Let the sheathing hang long over the hip rafter and cut off the excess. This might help you with the math on the hip rafter layout:

RicodJour

"RicodJour" wrote>

This will be all metal. The posts 3x3 inch, the purlins 8", and the sheets will be metal.

If I am envisioning this right, I can build the framework, making sure that the peak heights are the same all around, and ditto on the bottom purlin. In this case, the metal component is called a purlin although it is not the same as the carpenter's equivalent where a purlin joins across joists, usually horizontally. Once the frame is up and right, I would just have to deck it out, trimming each sheet along the hip, and then put on a hip flashing.

I was just wondering, as the projections are not the same if there would be a problem on the hip.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB