Roofing contractor, MAJOR screw up

I just had my roof replaced. I was here for the tear-off and the sheathing yeserday, but I was away at work today when they put the comp shingles on.
The wrong color shingles though. Definitely NOT what I ordered.
What are my realistic options in dealing with the contractor? Is there a "industry standard" for such screw-ups?
Any thoughts or advice? Thanks a heap,
-jbb
--
J.B.Bobbitt

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:40:16 GMT, "J.B. Bobbitt"

You don't mention "contract', so do you have one? Sales receipt with specific orders? I guess the "industry standard" for such screw-ups" is denial...
Oren

sheathing
Do you have a signed contract that specifies the color? Manufacturer AND color?

Its too bad you didn't look at the shingles(if they were onsite) while the tear off was taking place. My guess would be you could get a little bit of money back from the contractor but I doubt he is gonna tear off thats shingles and put other ones on. Ask for an adjustment..or better yet ask him WHAT HE CAN DO FOR YOU TO REMEDY THE PROBLEM
On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:40:16 GMT, "J.B. Bobbitt"

sheathing
on.
I signed a "Contractor Proposal" that spec's color, manufacturer, and product (i.e. "30 year laminated dimensional"). I had to initial all customer selections, e.g color, manufactuere, &tc.
I don't expect that they'll tear it off and put the right color on. But they've elimnated my preferred color schemes for the exterior paint, &tc.
That IRKS the hell out of me.
-jbb
You are in control over what he receives, if you can live with the color get a good discount.

Sounds like the balls in your court.

That seems to put you in a very good position. Step one is to determine just how much it really irks you. Once determined, you can decide on the proper remedy. If you absolutely abhor the color, he may have to do a tearoff. If, after a few days of viewing, you determine that the color is not all that bad, a substantial discount is in order. That saves the contractor a bundle of time and money and saves you a bundle of money too. It would not be to much to ask for 40% to 50% off. That may please him so he can get to the next job to recoup the loss on yours.
For best results, approach in a calm business-like manner. After all, it is a human error, not something done to piss you off. The contractor is as upset as you are and want to settle.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome /

J.B. Bobbitt writes:

The contractor must undo his mistake and redo the work properly, or pay to have someone else do it. This will require you hiring a lawyer to write nastygrams. It will likely cost more in stomach lining that you will gain.
The contractor is an expert at weaseling out of problems like this; you are an amateur.
The best course is usually to settle for compromise like a discount on the price. Many contractors are unreasonable, though, even when they are clearly wrong.
Did you specify manufacturer/model/color? Color can vary. I would double check package before assuming anything. Also shingles change color after months in the sun.

sheathing
You're being to picky. It's nothing a few gallons of paint won't solve.