Roofing Choices

After Wilma I walked around and saw all types of roof damages. The only types that seemed undamaged are metal roofing, something like this:

and flat roof tiles like this:

Barrel roof tiles seem to always get blown or shifted at the bottom or along the ridge. Shingles - nothing is left. I have barrel tiled roof now and has been for about 10 years so may be due for replacement.

Any idea the cost comparison between metal roof and flat tile roof? I heard stories about rain falling on metal roof can be very loud and annoying. Any pros and cons?

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

Shingles are generally rated only for 60 mph, and from some manufacturers up to 110 mph if fastened with six nails per shingle.

The failure mode for tiles has more to do with the attachment method. After Andrew the only approved attachment system for Miami / Dade was this one:

(When I reroofed two years ago with flat tiles I used this system).

Metal roofing is good too if properly installed, but as you noted it can be noisy and in salt air environments, prone to rust. Cost is slighly higher than good quality tile.

Before reroofing, read this -

I'd highly recommend installation of hurricane straps (if you don't already have them), adding gable-end bracing if you have that type of roof, renailing all your sheating, installation of a secondary water barrier, the use of modified bitumen as the cap sheet in your underlayment system, and Polyfoam attachment of the tiles. Get the job done right and you'll have a roof that can withstand a Cat 5 storm. Note however that it will still likely be badly damaged by wind borne debris from your neighbor's homes.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Thanks I will keep this in mind when I redo the roof and insist on this method.

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

Metal used to be more expensive, but that may have changed. Get some local prices.

Yes, on tin barn roofs. Not on the newer home roofing systems.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

i got gerard metal shingle style for 1/3 more than 40yr reg shingles. cols ohio area.

Reply to
jdk

No noticable noise on my Gerard roof: Stone covered.

Rich256

Looks like a good product. Note that only the Gerard Canyon Shake product meets uplift requirements for a Cat 5 in the HVHZ.

Travis Jordan

i must be on drugs, i did not mean to say they were noisy. i like them. sorry.

Reply to
jdk

You didn't someone previous to you did and I was agreeing with you. Got a sizeable insurance hail resistant discount too.

Reply to
Rich256

I have an 80 year old slate roof that has been through hurricanes but we don't get as high winds here in PA as folks down in hurricane alley do so I'm not sure how well slate would hold up in extreme wind conditions.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

How about the standing seam metal roof? Anyone tried them? Can those be installed easily or they need special framing?

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

I can't answer but there are lots of web sites that might be of help:

Rich256

Thank you very much for the information! This is very helpful.

MC

Reply to
miamicuse