Roofing and ventilation questions

Have a standard 1970's 2 story. Previoous owener installed new roof but were too cheap to have previous 2 roofs taken off. In summer, our basement temp is perfect, first floor a little warmer, second floor noticeably warmer. Im presuming having 3 layers of roofing is just sealing in the attic heat.

Plenty of insulation and soffit venting. Having just put on siding, we arent not financially in a position to put on a new roof - a cost Im sure would be more than normal with removal of 3 layers and associated subsurface repair. Besides, the top layer is fairly new and looks nice.

Wondering if forced ventilationfan would be a potential solution, and if so, wondering:

1) would roof installed temp controlled fan be best method or second floor ceiling type fan to draw cool air from lower floors up? We have no flat verical eave walls. 2) who best to install - roofer or general contractor? 3) anyone who has had this done guesstimate cost - are we walking hundered or thousands.

Many thanks! Todd

Reply to
Todd W. Roat

The three layers are not doing much to keep the heat in. In great part it is just your home working as normal and may have nothing to do with the roof/vent situation. Heat rises and the second floor is going to be hotter unless you have zoned A/C or have a very well installed single zone A/C

Soffit vents let the air in. You need high vents to let it out.

Generally no. Power vents are usually more trouble than they are worth. Most people don't replace them when the fail, which they do.

Roofer. The GC may likely sub it out to a roofer.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

On 13 May 2004 04:49:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@uc.edu (Todd W. Roat) scribbled this interesting note:

Take the time to read up on it...