roof tear-off project gut check

Page 2 of 2

well, the shakes that are in the steeper slope are still in good shape but the areas in low slope are worn. we thought about just fixing the leaky part but am just afraid we are throwing good money away if the roof eventually will have to be replaced in 1 or 2 years time.
the attic mess will be noted and the contractors have it written in their bid notes about the attic being our responsiblity.

I am not a roofing expert. In this area fire proof roofing is highly recommended, you are near a forest. Have you looked at metal roofing?
Phil Scott
Ed...
If it's low slope, I'd go with metal. But, if you do decide to go with ashpalt shingles, be sure that the warranty applies if they're installed in a low-slope condition. Sometimes, there are clauses that limit or change the conditions.
Many people have already responded, but I'll add my $0.02...
No doubt your shakes were installed incorrectly, as were 99% of shake roof construction in the 80's-- without sleepers behind them or at least a thick air infiltration membrane behind. Properly done, a cedar shake roof should last at *least* 30 years, if not double that.
Dave

i see a lot of much older houses (built in the 60's i would say) in our area that still have original cedar shakes (i think just it's thickness and darkness) and they survived well the oregon rain.

Have you looked here: http://www.cedarbureau.org/faqs/slope.htm ?
http://www.cedarbureau.org/ has information you might want to read up on...

CertainTeed is French so my company now avoids that brand at all costs. __________ If you give a little they give a lot. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco

If you make decisions based on whether a company is in a country that didn't cave in to US demands to go invade a possesor of WMD which never existed, then I certainly wouldn't want to give you my business anyway.
Bob

BTW for us that includes any Saddam supporters: http://abcnews.go.com/sections/WNT/Investigation/saddam_oil_vouchers_040129-1.html __________ If you give a little they give a lot. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco

ABC news writes: "According to the document, France was the second-largest beneficiary, with tens of millions of barrels awarded to Patrick Maugein, a close political associate and financial backer of French President Jacques Chirac.
Maugein, individually and through companies connected to him, received contracts for some 36 million barrels. Chirac's office said it was unaware of Maugein's deals, which Maugein told ABCNEWS are perfectly legal."...............................................snip
__________ If you give a little they give a lot. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco

Or a company from a country which had preferential oil contracts from a dictator / murderer they tried to protect at the expense of innocent people's lives.