Roof Shingles Lifespan ?

Hello,
Live outside of Boston.
Know there are a zillion variables involved, as well as brand and quality level, but what is a typical lifespan for roof shingles on a residence (when they should be replaced) ?
Assume the quality level of these original shingles was probably "average," undoubtedly not the best, or heaviest, available at the time (some 25 yrs ago).
Thanks, Bob
Hello,
Live outside of Boston.
Know there are a zillion variables involved, as well as brand and quality level, but what is a typical lifespan for roof shingles on a residence (when they should be replaced) ?
Assume the quality level of these original shingles was probably "average," undoubtedly not the best, or heaviest, available at the time (some 25 yrs ago).
Thanks, Bob

20 years is a reasonable design lifespan, 30 years would be upper end. If your roof is 25 years old, it's time to start yearly careful inspections.
Anywhere from 10 years up.

Usually noticed after a wind storm.
If you know they are the original from 25 years ago I would get up and have a real good look at them.

"average,"
20-25 year life span was normal 25 years ago. They should be replaced not later than when they start to fail. Some signs of failure are missing pieces, curling, bare spots with no granules, a swollen look.
That said I had some 20 year shingles nailed over a roof in 1983. I replaced it this year. It was not failing. I could have used it for 2-3 more years or more but I had to humor an insurance company.
Colbyt
first pick out the skylights and solar panels. repoint the chimney. then you do the roof and gutters. this summer.
20 years is the typical lifespan for average shingles