Roof question

I just received a re-roofing quote from a contractor that says that the job will require 17 squares. The property is 950sqft under roof and the pitch is 4.5/12.
Is it possible that a 950sqft house can have a 1,700sqft roof? I'd measure it myself but it's a 500 mile trip to the house.
JonP wrote:

JonP wrote:

Given that pitch, 17 square for the roof seems VERY high for a 950 sqft house.
Check out this calculator. The results are rough -- no accounting for type (hip, gable, etc) of roof -- but it won't be wildly off:
http://www.servicemagic.com/resources.calc.roofing.13.html

I JUST had my roof done...24X42(1008 sq. Ft.) Raised Ranch with a 5 pitch roof...15 square did it....Stripped and re-roofed 2,100 dollars for labor..I bought the materials....(about 1500. bucks)
Erma1ina wrote:

calculate based on the geometry I can remember......close, but my calc. was under 1,000. Even with a 2' overhang and 10% waste, it comes to around 12 squares. If the roofer is known and reputable, nothing wrong with questioning the estimate. Could be something as simple as a typo. If he tries to explain it away, then another roofer is in order.

Just x**2+Y**2=r**2 is all ya need to dust off. Remember ol' Pythagoras?