Roof Membrane's Cost Effeciency

I was told when I bought my house a year and a half ago that I should get a roof membrane that my extend the life of my roof. I have a flat rof, concrete. How effective is a roof membrane? How cost efficient is it? Whenever there is a heavy downpour, water seems to be entering a light fixture in my kitchen. Would a membrane help? I am in distress!
yes, a rubber membrane roof is likely your answer.
Single ply roof ing is common and works well when applied carefully. Detail at edge of membrane is important. Choose a contractor with good references. TB
I have a flat roof and it has been replaced with a membrane (bitumen fired down), which after it's applied is a full piece of rubber on the roof.
It costs about $200/square to rip out the old stuff and install this one. If you have a flat roof, you're going to have problems, and this only helps put off the inevitable, so it's cost efficient.
good luck, tim1198