romex in pvc

Can romex be incased in pvc underground I say no but a friend says yes A steak is on the line...

A buried conduit is considered a wet location. NM cable is for dry locations. Make it a Filet

not permitted in wet locations. An underground conduit is considered a wet location.

*No Romex underground, even in conduit. Make mine medium well.

RARE Porterhouse
gene

Right. If you're ordering a steak medium well, you might as well go to Arby's.
Gary wrote:

Well, depends... :)
"Romex" is generically any type of non-metallic sheathed electrical cable. The name came from the Rome Wire Company which originally produced the wire. Now the Romex brand is owned by Southwire and is an actual trademarked brand.
So, assuming the friend were to specify suitable _type_ of Romex for wet location, it's ok.
IOW, as posed, imo it's indeterminate as being underspecified...

Sounds like you're trying to help the OP weasel his way out of a losing bet. Romex is trademarked, and no product with the Romex brand name is listed for wet locations. Generically speaking when someone refers to romex they are referring to a NM cable that is the same as Romex, just a different brand, not an entirely different animal. That would be like saying Band-Aid means the Johnson & Johnson product, and bandaid means a plaster cast.
RicodJour wrote:

...Hey, anything to promote a good argument... :)

Sounds like you're trying to help the OP weasel his way out of a losing bet.
The OP is on the winning side. "I say no, but a friend says yes"
Let the man get his steak!

Point noted. It's still weaseling. ;)

There is electrical wire specifically made for underground use. Now see if your friend can produce a piece of "Romex" for underground use. I'm on your side, though.