romex in pvc

Can romex be incased in pvc underground I say no but a friend says yes A steak is on the line...

Reply to
Gary

A buried conduit is considered a wet location. NM cable is for dry locations. Make it a Filet

Reply to
RBM

Your friend owes you a steak. "Romex", correctly known as Type NM Cable, is not permitted in wet locations. An underground conduit is considered a wet location.

Reply to
Doug Miller

*No Romex underground, even in conduit. Make mine medium well.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Well, depends... :)

"Romex" is generically any type of non-metallic sheathed electrical cable. The name came from the Rome Wire Company which originally produced the wire. Now the Romex brand is owned by Southwire and is an actual trademarked brand.

So, assuming the friend were to specify suitable _type_ of Romex for wet location, it's ok.

IOW, as posed, imo it's indeterminate as being underspecified...

--

Reply to
dpb

Sounds like you're trying to help the OP weasel his way out of a losing bet. Romex is trademarked, and no product with the Romex brand name is listed for wet locations. Generically speaking when someone refers to romex they are referring to a NM cable that is the same as Romex, just a different brand, not an entirely different animal. That would be like saying Band-Aid means the Johnson & Johnson product, and bandaid means a plaster cast.

RicodJour

...Hey, anything to promote a good argument... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Sounds like you're trying to help the OP weasel his way out of a losing bet.

The OP is on the winning side. "I say no, but a friend says yes"

Let the man get his steak!

Reply to
Joe

Point noted. It's still weaseling. ;)

RicodJour

RARE Porterhouse

gene

Reply to
Gene Jackson

Right. If you're ordering a steak medium well, you might as well go to Arby's.

RicodJour

There is electrical wire specifically made for underground use. Now see if your friend can produce a piece of "Romex" for underground use. I'm on your side, though.

Reply to
Phisherman