"Ripping" 1x6 fence pickets

Page 1 of 2
I need to finish off my wood fence at the edges and cornes, where I cannot use a normal 1x6 picket because it's less than 6" in width.
I would need to rip about half a dozen pieces of 6' tall pickets in varying widths.
I went to the big borg store thinking they could do it for me but no ripping and nothing less than 12". So I have to do it myself.
I don't have a table saw nor a jig saw. I have a compound miter saw, a recipricating saw, and an angle grinder. I don't have a circular saw either. Which tool I have is the easiest? I am thinking to use the recipricating saw but the cut won't be clean and smooth?
MC

No buds with a table saw or radial arm saw? You can get a cheap Skill circular saw for maybe $39. You would have to temporairly fasten the picket to something while cutting it and use a board as a jig if you want it really really straight like a table saw.

What kind of tools do your friends have? If you were my neighbor, I'd rip some boards for you for a beer.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

I rip farts for free.
Steve wrote:

Seriously, if you own a house and are up to projects like building a fence, you NEED a circular saw. You don't need a pro-grade for the couple of hours a year of cutting you will be doing, one of the 50-buck ones is fine. You spent several hundred on the wood for the fence- go buy whatever cheap corded saw the big-box has on sale, and a couple of those big-ass spring clamps, and you are all set. Lay out and clamp on a couple of sawhorses using another board as a straightedge, and in a couple of minutes you will be done. Some things are not worth doing the hard way.
-- aem sends...

none of the tools you have are appropriate to the job
I would suggest getting a used table saw on craigslist (cheap) & then either keep it when you're done or resell it.
Or rent one? But I doubt anyone rents table sawa.
cheers Bob
none of the tools you have are appropriate to the job
I would suggest getting a used table saw on craigslist (cheap) & then either keep it when you're done or resell it.
Or rent one? But I doubt anyone rents table sawa.
cheers Bob
*************************************** I don't usually recommend cheap tools, but a $200 saw from Sears is adequate for the job and will last the typical homeowner for many years. I see them for sale all the time used too.
Just be sure to take the time to find out how to use on properly and safely, make a couple of push sticks and learn how to set the fence to avoid kickback. Never use the miter to crosscut with the fence.
wrote in message

Heck, if you want econo, Blue Borg even has one on a stand (no wheels or folding) for $99. It's that Task Force line. Then a couple of Firestorms for 129 & 139 then the entry level Hitachi for 229.
Here's the link to the list of em Miami if your considering it.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&Ntt=table%20saw&Ntk=i_tools&Ns=p_product_price|0&N=0&sortOp=lowToHigh
Here's a novel concept. And a less than ten dollar solution.
http://tinyurl.com/4b86tz

On 6/22/2008 8:43 AM S. Barker spake thus:

I get "The product you are trying to view is not currently available."
me too. what is the link supposed to point to? not a hand saw I hope : )

Actually, it was a link to a hand saw. I know, no one could possibly use one of those nowadays, right?

It is an alternative. I thought about it but I am lazy...actually I could have done it with a handsaw with the amount of time I have idled over this.
Problem is I am doing a whole house remodeling and I have at any point in time 40 projects going at the same time, so once I hit a road block, I move on to another item, in the mean time give me time to think and strategize...
Its like I am mending the chicken fence and chasing 30 chickens at the same time...LOL.
MC

A whole house remodeling and you don't have even an econo circular saw.
Why?
hmmm... the link still works for me.

Not for me. You may have a cookie with your zip code for location.
Quote: MiamiCuse wrote on Sat, 21 June 2008 20:52 ----------------------------------------------------

Your best bet is some sort of circular saw, either table or hand-held. Buying a table saw would work but it is not as versatile as a hand-held.
I'll tell you one of my best tool buys of all time was a cordless craftsmen kit that had a small cordless circular saw (I think 6" or 8" blade) and cordless drill. Also came with a flashlight. All three use the same battery pack (18v) and there were two batteries included so you could have one charging while using another. I think I found it on sale for < $200 but that was 5+ years ago. It all still works great and I use the drill or saw every other month of so. In fact the last project was 300 ft2 of engineered hardwood and I used the little saw for the whole job (just cutting the lengths to size as needed).
Anyway the point I'm trying to make is that if you find a good cordless saw it will be really handy in many situations like you describe. It can rip those 1x6 with no problem (has a guide to keep you at constant width).
I would not recommend a table saw because it would not be as useful in the long run.
Hope that helps.
-- Richard Thoms Founder - Top Service Pros, Inc. Connecting Homeowners and Local Service Professionals http://www.TopServicePros.com
topservicepros <richard[at]topservicepros[dot]com> wrote in

[...]

I'm not sure why or if it's the same for others but it seems each paragraph of all your posts show up as a single line. Anyone else seeing this?

kit that had a small cordless circular saw (I think 6" or 8" blade) and cordless drill. Also came with a flashlight. All three use the same battery pack (18v) and there were two batteries included so you could have one charging while using another. I think I found it on sale for < $200 but that was 5+ years ago. It all still works great and I use the drill or saw every other month of so. In fact the last project was 300 ft2 of engineered hardwood and I used the little saw for the whole job (just cutting the lengths to size as needed).

it will be really handy in many situations like you describe. It can rip those 1x6 with no problem (has a guide to keep you at constant width).

Looks fine to me, and I'm using Agent 3.3.

You need to enable wrapping.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement