riding mower wont start

i have a murray 20 hp riding mower about 5 yrs old,i had it started once after beating on the solonoid and pouring some gas in the carb,but it didnt stay on,reason no fuel i replaced fuel line put fresh fuel and anew solonoid,but it still wont turn on,it turns over but wont turn on,ps i noticed oil and posibble gas at the muffler tip,any suggestions guys, thank you sam

Reply to
samhou2001

flooded

Reply to
robson

Pull the plugs and crank it over to clear the cylinders. Replace the plugs and try to start like you normally would. If it doesn't start you'll need to determine if it is getting too little or too much fuel or no spark. If it fires but does not stay running check the plugs to see if they are wet with and have a strong smell of gas. If so the motor is flooding. If not it's not getting enough gas. Since you have gas in the muffler it may be flooding or doesn't have good enough spark. If you lack these kind of troubleshooting skills you're pretty much limited to changing plugs and what you've already done.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Over choked ? See it the choke is stuck closed.

Your are sitting on the seat right - deadman switch..?

Fouled plugs.

-- Oren

Oren

really loves it."

-- Your are sitting on the seat right - deadman switch..?

Quick Poll - Who here *hasn't* disabled the deadman switch under the seat of their riding mower?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I haven't, but I only owned one tractor and sold it :)

-- Oren

Oren

Second thing I do is to bypass that damn switch, first thing is, take off the crap blades that came with the unit.

Clark...

Reply to
Clark

I missed to mention that i replaced the spark plugs with new ones, and bypass the seat switch

Reply to
samhou2001

Lightly tap the carb bowl a few times with the screwdriver handle. The float /needle might be sticking, so the flooding. Otherwise, clean it with a spray carb cleaner and check the float.

-- Oren

Oren

Agreed, Owen. I just wanted to warn Sam that when he takes off the float bowl and removes the float swivel pin to remove it to watch for the needle valve as it comes out of the seat. Shake the float and if you hear sloshing it needs to be replaced. Shoot some carb cleaner into the valve seat and be sure to protect your eyes from splash back. Shoot the carb cleaner into every opening that you can find. Just a thought

Chuck

Reply to
C & E

I haven't, see no reason to do so. Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob

Clark wrote: ...

Bet it doesn't mow worth a lick that way... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

I haven't -- but I don't have anything new enough to have had one to start with... :)

Well, I take that back, I have one--the JD 955 somebody else had already done it when I bought it. That count?

--

Reply to
dpb

-- Well, I take that back, I have one--the JD 955 somebody else had already done it when I bought it. That count?

It only counts if you haven't considered hooking it back up. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Any excess smell of fuel when you try to start it? Does it fire at all? How does it try to start if it does, need to be more descriptive.

Reply to
Meat Plow