Riding mower won't start

Just went to start up my Dixon ZTR for the first time of the season. The solenoid clicks, but nothing turns over.
The battery measures 11.3 VDC, and the headlights are bright.
Do I need to charge the battery, or is there something else wrong?
If I charge the battery, can I connect the charger directly to both terminals of the battery, or do I need to connect the negative line to the chassis somewhere, like I do with my car during the winter?
11.3 volts is not 12, though it is close is, its not enough. The battery should be reading somewhere around 12.5-12.7. Charge the battery and see what you get.
Searcher
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:

11.3 is totally dead. 11.89 is dead. 12.65 is fully charged.
Does the battery have caps? Best to use a hydrometer to check state of charge.
Just hook the charger to the negative and positive.
you might try adding a few capfulls of octane boost from your local auto supply. -m

Thanks...that's all it was. Started up fine now.